Regarding Suspicion and Anti-Virus Software

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Regarding Suspicion and Anti-Virus Software

Postby noobtuber1099 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:05 pm

This game looks cool, sounds cool, and I really want to play it. However, there is 1 problem, Anti-virus software. literally every program, even the ones that aren't anti-virus are telling me NOT TO PLAY THIS GAME UNDER CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!. naturally, this aroused some degree of suspicion and drove me to uninstall the game. fortunately, there are many easy ways to dissipate this suspicion. the best option for this game would be to make it run in-browser. this would mean you wouldn't have to download it to play it and considering the game only clocks in at a measly 2 KB, It wouldn't be that hard. also, getting your "company" recognized and approved by Java would mean that those anti-virus messages would not appear even if you downloaded it.
noobtuber1099

Re: Regarding Suspicion and Anti-Virus Software

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:24 pm

It's just because jorbtar never got a certificate, so guessware doesn't like it. They don't like doing bureaucracy, it seems.
DDDsDD999

Postby Kaios » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:36 pm

noobtuber1099 wrote:also, getting your "company" recognized and approved by Java would mean that those anti-virus messages would not appear even if you downloaded it.

So what is suspicious then? Seems you know exactly what the cause is.
Kaios

Postby painhertz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:51 pm

I STILL fail to see the purpose of this thread.....
Last edited by painhertz on Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby TeckXKnight » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:05 pm

It's an extra hoop to jump through and it scares off normal people, so it is an issue that we're all hoping is already resolved in the friday release. At the same time the client code is literally open to be viewed by anyone as per the licenses it uses so many people have thoroughly reviewed it at this point. The only risks you run into are when you download custom clients made by users, which are also supposed to be open code based on the licenses that they utilize but as we've seen in the past this is not always the case and even when they are people don't always go through custom clients with a fine-toothed comb.

To be entirely honest, anti-virus software is trash and you'd be better off with password managers and regular cleaning and maintenance. It will false positive fucking everything and will fail to stop most actual spyware and viruses beyond the arcane ones that are often blocked by your OS already, assuming you've kept your OS up to date. This last bit is just me being sick and tired of anti-viruses though so feel free to ignore it.
TeckXKnight

Postby borka » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:34 pm

noobtuber1099 wrote: However, there is 1 problem, Anti-virus software. literally every program, even the ones that aren't anti-virus are telling me NOT TO PLAY THIS GAME UNDER CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

the 1 problem is literally sitting in front of the computer if the above is taken for truth ... :roll: (There was a false positive once with a certain AV program - the vendor had been contacted, given the file and source code and they fixed it straight away)

You'll just get a warning from Java because of the self signed certificate - that's it ...

Solutions are simple: use a custom client or wait 'till friday when the new HnH is out with a different start method ...
borka

Return to Critique & Ideas