Read Me First | Suggestion Guidelines

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Read Me First | Suggestion Guidelines

Postby Jackard » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:59 pm

If you have a good idea for improving the game, that's great, but it's only half the battle. There is still the task of getting the community/developers to understand the idea and agree that it is a good one. Here are some guidelines to help you best deliver your suggestion:

Familiarise yourself with any previous discussion
Do a quick search to see if there are existing threads with similar ideas, and make certain your idea hasn't been shot down before with good reason. You can borrow from past suggestions to improve your own thread or bump them if they haven't played out yet.

Give your idea a meaningful title
Give threads clear titles so people know what they are before entering them. Vague titles serve little purpose in attracting attention to your idea and make it more difficult for others to find your thread when Searching. If a thread inspires a new idea only loosely related to the initial post, start a new thread to prevent the idea from becoming lost.

Avoid making 'potpourri'
Linked to the above, please avoid making grab bag threads with multiple unrelated suggestions. Give each idea its own thread so posters can discuss its merits, so that ideas aren't overshadowed by more popular ideas, and so that they might be found later using the search tool.

Consider and address any flaws of your idea
Please give your suggestions some thought and actual effort. One-liners are less likely to persuade others unless they are an obvious improvement. Consider reasons your idea might not be accepted by the developers. When you do this, occasionally you will realize that the idea should be discarded as unsuitable - but mostly it's just helpful to anticipate objections so that you can address them in your pitch and improve the suggestion. "How might this possibly be exploited?" "Are these changes entertaining or tedious?" "Have the developers mentioned any future changes that would make this idea obsolete and not worth the time to implement?"

Use clear language
This is an international forum where many of the regulars don't speak English as their first language - we don't expect perfect spelling and grammar. However, a good way to instantly alienate about half of your readers is to use shorthand ("u shld make walls more tuff"). Using words that are too flowery, using slang or odd spellings also make your post harder to understand.

Please be as concise as possible when making suggestions. The goal is to have the reader understand your post and agree with it. If they have difficulty understanding your post, find it too long or too annoying to read, they're much less likely to support your idea.

Other notes...
Please be civil when making suggestions if you wish to be taken seriously.
Avoid realism-based arguments and needless complexity - simplicity and gameplay will trump realism every time.
Before you post have a quick reread. Is there anything that could be made clearer or less wordy? Have you assumed people know what you mean at any point?
Jackard

Re: Read Me First | Suggestion Guidelines

Postby Jackard » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Here are some good examples of what NOT to post:

ArvinJA wrote:hey i dont usually make thread but i felt because devs r idiots i do it.

so how can we fix game? i have played game for many weeks now and since i was kid i play games so i have meny interesting suggestion.

• remove bots: why have code allowed to run in game? seem pretty stupid. in other game i play no one use bot.
  • make quest: why no quest all ready? well devs r maybe lazy and dont want to right them so we have no quest. when i play other game i always start quest its best way to play game (and also you feel like "win" everytime).
  • make differnt diffulcty: when i play other game you have differnt diffultye setting. sometime u just want to shoot ppl lol ^^
  • make PvE server: sometime u dont want to be in zone full of killers maybe us hould have server for other people who is nice in game. we can still kill fox.
  • remove op curious: this more of balance change, edelwise and other curious i will never see so why have in game at all? impossible to get aphid that much without ant bot.
  • add gms: if u have gm is much easier to ask in game instead of send mail when u throw out spider web and want to keep for study.
  • add tag: maybe u want to add tag to palisade runestone is good lets expand on good thngs and make similar more things. in other game they have tag is very funny when you run around lol xD
  • ban hitler sign: i have many experiens with hitler sign in game and i think better if remove? either gm can do or someone cna make anti-hitler bot?

thanks for me i guess these things are ovious but devs r idiots so someone could copy code from game and just change bad things. i would pay $10 for this chnage shouldnt take too long so migght be worth it for poor student.
parisparisparis wrote:i want to suggest to because i think this would be good: Make it so monster drop gold when killed. Other good games does that i do not understand why this i not in this game haven & hearth.
Jackard

Return to Critique & Ideas