Coronavirus

The Place Where Bad Threads Go To Die.

Re: Coronavirus

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Jalpha wrote: Maybe more boomers need to go to shift the statistics in the right direction.

I don't think that's how it works... at all.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:44 pm

Are you saying that you think that the older age groups are just as concerned about global warming and the future of the youth as the younger generations? I'm aware I'm getting a little off-topic here but my understanding is that the older voters are more concerned with their taxpayer funded pensions than they are about the aforementioned issues. I would like to be wrong.

Maybe this is a cultural miscommunication. The boomer generation shifted a lot of things in Australia to make their lives easier at the expense of the younger generations while they were in power. Now they still hold a lot of power as they still vote, however... Australia is one country where the millennials and their neighbours outnumber the boomers and their neighbours. I am genuinely interested to learn how things may be playing out differently in other parts of the world. I mean while traveling I have learned a great deal about how different cultures are even within the west from country to country. It has educated me in many aspects such as gender equality and home ownership etc. There is a lot to know so forgive my ignorance and please enlighten me.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Jalpha wrote:There is a lot to know so forgive my ignorance and please enlighten me.

You're the only person claiming to know things in all of these political ranty threads of yours.

Which is a little bit strange considering that out of all the people in this community, you (braggingly so?) have the smallest and least illuminated window to the outside world out of all of us.

You can't just boil everything down to old=dangerous stupid, young=saving the world, there is a lot more to it than that

aren't you like 40? You are against this stereotypical boomer mentality yet you have a ton of other extremely controversial hyper-conservative beliefs

Very strange behaviour
Zentetsuken

Postby Jalpha » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:12 pm

Why don't you derail another thread to be all about me.

Very strange behaviour.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:41 am

Is this global warming change of subject in any way related to the subject, or is it just some random insert? Please make a point or back to the subject. Thanks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Jalpha » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 am

I was simply trying to point out that the deaths resulting from this pandemic are mostly old people. Additionally I took a further leap of logic by pointing out that reducing the number of people in the older age bracket who are alive to vote seems like it will be a good thing for the younger generations. I am primarily concerned with issues which affect our species as a whole, such as global warming and the need to expand beyond the earth. This is where I prefer to focus my discussions and I prefer not to be dragged into debate about lesser issues which are relevant only to a minority. However even minorities stand to benefit from this situation.

I could go on to the economic advantages resulting from the disappearance of so many elderly who are no longer contributing so much to the economy but I am aware this line of discussion is not appreciated and so I am willing to drop it. I am capable of approaching these topics dispassionately to debate with logic and not emotion however many others are not. Wrong community. I agree. Thank you.

In short; despite the pandemic which has gotten totally out of control only in some parts of the world there are advantages to letting the situation run its course. Disadvantages also.

The resulting collapse of so many small businesses has the potential to create further economic and environmental issues by empowering big business. These lines of conversation are inherent to discussions about the pandemic. Quite obviously. Yet I am aware that freedom of speech is becoming less of a commodity here these days. I am willing to skirt the boundaries. Please keep me informed of what is acceptable free speech here and what is not.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Thank you for enlightening us on what point you're trying to make.

For what it's worth, you tried making the same point about 500 posts ago.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 pm

Went to a larger store today (largest mall in northern europe actually) via train, maybe 50% were wearing masks, but other than that there was nothing exceptional from normal behaviour.

I'm constantly feeling like the virus is just a hoax.

If you look at deaths and positive cases in Finland, they do not correlate too well.

In the beginning most deaths were from elderly homes etc. people who were in terrible conditions, having some serious diseases such as cancer and being overall close to death.

But now, during the "second wave" basically no deaths still.
I'm losing my belief in authorities. If I understood correctly, other nordic countries such as sweden do not have serious restrictions at all!
In finland, basically all work is remote, all studying is remote, all events are cancelled. For how long? Probably until 99% of the population is vaccinated, different institutions have just started announcing that they will extend the restrictions to next year :? There will be a large group of new students that have never seen university in person, even though they have been studying for 1 year for example!

BUT then when you look at other countries, the situation doesn't seem so good in some of them, so why people are not dying in Finland while they are in US for example? Are all americans just fat and their healthcare non existent so thus people die?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Jalpha » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Don't dig too deep. A lot about this situation doesn't make any sense. It's easy to get creative.

Here on the Re-open EU map you can see that Finland is doing better than most other countries in the EU. Here in Berlin it seems like everything is normal but today there was a big change in the number of people I see outside. Additional restrictions will be imposed from Monday and it looks like most people are taking things seriously.

Re-open EU Map

Maybe I should have wintered in Finland. Travel options are getting limited.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:04 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Thank you for enlightening us on what point you're trying to make.

For what it's worth, you tried making the same point about 500 posts ago.

Thank you for acknowledging this.

shubla wrote:I'm constantly feeling like the virus is just a hoax.

Occam's razor, bud.

Lots of different countries are having different experiences with numbers.
There are a million factors that could logically explain some or all of the reasons why this might be.
You touched on some of them, and surely something as simple as bad diet and lack of healthcare could certainly be contributing factors.

If anything is leaning in to hoax territory it's probably the data itself. Just as different countries have a million different variables that effect the numbers for transmission and death, they are also collecting and managing the actual data differently too.

Perhaps Finland is collecting or reporting numbers is a way that misconstrues the situation.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Hel