A Plea for Moderation

The Place Where Bad Threads Go To Die.

Re: A Plea for Moderation

Postby mvgulik » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:52 pm

bumfrog wrote:
Kaios wrote:Everyone can contribute to a wiki, and they are only as good as the contributions that are made to them.

what a silly thing to say in response to players pointing out that a wiki moderator, who has more power than the average user to make/delete contributions or prevent other players from making contributions, is abusing that power or at least using it foolishly

> "... or at least using it foolishly"
So you don't know anything and your just reiterating some general thing you hear someone else say.
Got it.
mvgulik

Postby VDZ » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:47 pm

bumfrog wrote:what a silly thing to say in response to players pointing out that a wiki moderator, who has more power than the average user to make/delete contributions or prevent other players from making contributions, is abusing that power or at least using it foolishly

bumfrog wrote:pointing out

Merely claiming so far. Can't call it 'pointing out' without any shred of evidence. If it happened then it should be simple to just point out some malicious edits as examples.
VDZ

Postby bumfrog » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:21 pm

VDZ wrote:Merely claiming so far. Can't call it 'pointing out' without any shred of evidence. If it happened then it should be simple to just point out some malicious edits as examples.

I would not attest to the experiences of others, for I would not disagree were it called heresay if I were to provide a secondhand perspective. Sevenless and especially ricky (if he's not so completely burnt out from dealing with said user) can speak about it with more authority if you need evidence quickly. Otherwise, the wiki edit logs still exist, as do extensive discussions in the RoB wiki thread.

Hell, I might have been tempted to do the research for you, were it not for the fact that you’ve been active in said thread yourself. Seems disingenuous of you to be feigning ignorance here

mvgulik wrote:> "... or at least using it foolishly"
So you don't know anything and your just reiterating some general thing you hear someone else say.
Got it.

merely an acknowledgement that I am not yet completely sure if you are trolling/otherwise malicious or just that socially unintelligent. Those that are closer to the situation probably have a better answer and perhaps the truth lies between
Last edited by bumfrog on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Pawnchito » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Pawnchito

Postby WowGain » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:00 am

VDZ wrote:
bumfrog wrote:what a silly thing to say in response to players pointing out that a wiki moderator, who has more power than the average user to make/delete contributions or prevent other players from making contributions, is abusing that power or at least using it foolishly

bumfrog wrote:pointing out

Merely claiming so far. Can't call it 'pointing out' without any shred of evidence. If it happened then it should be simple to just point out some malicious edits as examples.

i watched as this assclown reverted the edits from someone who was actually providing information on realms, one of the most bare-bones and pathetically underexplained mechanics on the entire wiki

you want to know WHY he did this?
because the person who used the account had a signature that supported the wiki admin that mvgulik banned for not stroking his undeserved ego.

he only lifted the ban because I and several others literally went to the sysop to tell him what a fucking lunatic mvgulik was being.

please vdz, go jump into a bottomless pit and never come back.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 am

WowGain wrote:i watched as this assclown reverted the edits from someone who was actually providing information on realms, one of the most bare-bones and pathetically underexplained mechanics on the entire wiki

you want to know WHY he did this?
because the person who used the account had a signature that supported the wiki admin that mvgulik banned for not stroking his undeserved ego.

he only lifted the ban because I and several others literally went to the sysop to tell him what a fucking lunatic mvgulik was being.

Well, I stand corrected. What the hell, Mvgulik? What was even wrong with his signature? I can't tell even from the complete talk page.

bumfrog wrote:Hell, I might have been tempted to do the research for you, were it not for the fact that you’ve been active in said thread yourself. Seems disingenuous of you to be feigning ignorance here

Huh? In the entire history of that thread I've made a grand total of two posts in it, on May 25th and May 26th 2021. I have no clue what brought me to that thread at that time, but in general it's one of those threads I never check. I wasn't even aware there was any drama around the wiki until just now and figured people were just saying shit because they dislike Mvgulik for the way he writes his posts.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:54 am

People who say that forums are ded are wrong. 14 pages in just 2 weeks.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:41 am

VDZ wrote:Well, I stand corrected. What the hell, Mvgulik?

You should be careful to just follow your instinct based on data provided by WowGain. (especially WowGain)
Discrediting someone or something is easy. Trying to get a more balanced view of the situation is not ... that actually take effort, and a lot of it.

VDZ wrote:What was even wrong with his signature?

Like starting to not signing his talk-posts. (also advocated at HnH-discord wiki channel. Probably by WowGain,)
And than doing so only with his name, but without some date info.

A Wiki-talk page is not like a forum-page, where the forum takes care of 1) placing post in sequential order, and 2) showing who said what and when.
Imagine a wiki-talk page discussion without directly seeing who said what and when (in a potential non sequential order to boot).

VDZ wrote:I can't tell even from the complete talk page.

Try the Special:Contributions/PartyLikeIt's1999 page.
mvgulik

Postby BoxingRock » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:14 am

shubla wrote:People who say that forums are ded are wrong. 14 pages in just 2 weeks.

lets be honest, 99% of the forum activity that happens any time after the initial 2-3 month population boom at the start of the world is just the official discord chads and the community misfits trying to outshitpost each other

nothing that has been posted in the last few months has been helpful, meaningful or necessary
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:26 am

mvgulik wrote:
VDZ wrote:Well, I stand corrected. What the hell, Mvgulik?

You should be careful to just follow your instinct based on data provided by WowGain. (especially WowGain)
Discrediting someone or something is easy. Trying to get a more balanced view of the situation is not ... that actually take effort, and a lot of it.

Properly discrediting someone is not easy and the evidence posted is pretty damning here.

mvgulik wrote:
VDZ wrote:What was even wrong with his signature?

Like starting to not signing his talk-posts. (also advocated at HnH-discord wiki channel. Probably by WowGain,)
And than doing so only with his name, but without some date info.

A Wiki-talk page is not like a forum-page, where the forum takes care of 1) placing post in sequential order, and 2) showing who said what and when.
Imagine a wiki-talk page discussion without directly seeing who said what and when (in a potential non sequential order to boot).

Why the hell would you ban someone (especially a frequent contributor) over that? Wikipedia just has a bot that adds that info when people don't ~~~~ themselves.

mvgulik wrote:
VDZ wrote:I can't tell even from the complete talk page.

Try the Special:Contributions/PartyLikeIt's1999 page.

I tried looking at that too but still didn't find anything obvious, just a long list of honest contributions.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Hel