Football field standard.

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Football field standard.

Postby jordancoles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am

ricky wrote:So has anyone dropped a cupboard of leather balls in a cabin and tried to crash the game yet? I'm willing to bet it's within the realm of possibility

No but when I dropped 3 at once I noticed that 2 of them formed together and when I kicked them they both moved within the same collision box
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 am

jordancoles wrote:
ricky wrote:So has anyone dropped a cupboard of leather balls in a cabin and tried to crash the game yet? I'm willing to bet it's within the realm of possibility

No but when I dropped 3 at once I noticed that 2 of them formed together and when I kicked them they both moved within the same collision box

Exactly --
and I've also noticed that balls doesn't push other balls. They just go through each other. Horses/animals doesn't push balls either - only if being ridden by the player.
So you can safely assume two things:

1- a ball can only "start" movement by player interaction. Once in movement, it will hit objects and animals - but objects and animals can't start its movement on their on.

2- a ball is - from the game mechanics' point of view - standing exactly at the same place where it was before it is kicked. The ball (in-game object/entity) is only relocated to its new location after the whole movement has been simulated and it stops.
This can be easily proved by doing the following test:
Two people. One clicks to get the ball to inventory, the other kicks the ball. The first one will just run where the ball was and, once they reach that position, the ball disappears (even if in movement) and they get the ball. If the ball stops before the player reach the former ball position, they'll be instantly directed to the new ball position.

These things would need to be changed a bit if we ever hope to have more meaningful ball sports in Haven :D
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Adder1234 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 am

DaniAngione wrote:Exactly --
and I've also noticed that balls doesn't push other balls. They just go through each other. Horses/animals doesn't push balls either - only if being ridden by the player.
So you can safely assume two things:

1- a ball can only "start" movement by player interaction. Once in movement, it will hit objects and animals - but objects and animals can't start its movement on their on.

2- a ball is - from the game mechanics' point of view - standing exactly at the same place where it was before it is kicked. The ball (in-game object/entity) is only relocated to its new location after the whole movement has been simulated and it stops.
This can be easily proved by doing the following test:
Two people. One clicks to get the ball to inventory, the other kicks the ball. The first one will just run where the ball was and, once they reach that position, the ball disappears (even if in movement) and they get the ball. If the ball stops before the player reach the former ball position, they'll be instantly directed to the new ball position.

These things would need to be changed a bit if we ever hope to have more meaningful ball sports in Haven :D

So if I'm understanding this right, the ball exists in different places for characters trying to pick up and kick the ball while it's moving? For the player trying to pick it up, it exists where it was before it was kicked, then when it stops it exists where it stopped moving. But for the player trying to kick it, it exists wherever it appears to be.
Adder1234

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:19 am

Adder1234 wrote:But for the player trying to kick it, it exists wherever it appears to be.

For kicking purposes, yes. But if any player tries to "pick it up" (right click), they'll walk where it was, not where we can see it (until it stops, then its position is updated)

What this means is that the moving ball is nothing but a simulated physical projection of the ball movement, but the ball itself (as an entity and object) remains on its original place until it is teleported to its stopping place.
I suspect that this design decision - for the ball to not be a real moving entity (like animals, characters, etc...) is due to the fact that it required some complex physics simulation (acceleration and decelaration) that isn't available to our type of entity - we can have different speeds but we don't have real acceleration and decelaration; our speed is always a constant value that can change but not gradually - and henceforth updating its actual position in real-time would probably be very expensive in terms of performance.
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby jordancoles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 am

The real question is how long the ball takes to despawn on the ground
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby TheOriginalFive » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 am

If it despawns in the middle of a long match, that will be a pain in the neck.
TheOriginalFive

Postby DaniAngione » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 am

I left one overnight for like 2 nights during the building of the stadium and it didn't disappear. I collected it later, however, so not sure if longer or doesn't despawn at all.
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby Bauta » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Why not alternate sheep and bat skins for the nets?
Or even just all sheep.
world 5: sprucecap
world 6: hermit
world 7: sprucecap
----
world 10: hermit
Bauta

Postby Pan_w_okularach » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am

nice ping pong arena lmao
Memories of pain
Pan_w_okularach

Postby Ozzy123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 am

Pan_w_okularach wrote:nice ping pong arena lmao

haha tell em mulder!!

why don't you answer me on skype..
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot