The Siege of Aurora

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: The Siege of Aurora

Postby Fierce_Deity » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Really liked the post, top quality. It was interesting to get a real breakdown of a large scale siege.
Fierce_Deity

Postby LostJustice » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Luanes wrote:Well, good to know that there's someone up to the discussion :D.

LostJustice wrote: Second, the ability to siege at any given time is something that happens real life and I feel is very important to be added to this game. If someone wants to siege at any time they should be given this opportunity. It is just a reflection on real mechanics which I and many others like in Hafen.

I really disagree about that sentence, because IRL you really can be attacked at any time, but, for anyone alive, the top priority would be defend yourself. I guess no one would say:

- They're attacking our village!
- Oh no! The clothes are on the clothesline!

So, to agree with your sentence, people should be able to attack at anytime a "living" target, and, in my point of view, being alive is being able to play. Totally agree with you that player density on a village should be a factor on its resistance, and disagree about the cooldown, I guess you should be able to push your target until you or them use all their resources. Being able to be attacked / defend 6 hours per day is, at least for me, a good amount of time, but, still, it could be increased to 8 or 10 hours. Besides how do you suggest to "set" a time limit that a siege could take? Calculated by the first hit on the shield? Or what? I really want to discuss it.

Edit: Maybe we could use 2 time frames: One chosen by the defender and another by the attacker.

Setting a set time frame can be abused heavily... second yes it would be first hit. The point of sieging is to attempt to take over or destroy an opponent, it isn’t to have a nice cup of tea with them. We are not having a square off with who can draw the gun first at some time like renaissance. Also the game includes different groups from all over the world... I live in a village where I have people in completely opposite time zones than I have. So working at a 3-6 might end up being 5-8 for someone else and be a really bad time for them in general. That simply causes bias for countries, people with jobs, and ect hence why I absolutely hate having set time periods. The siege for instance takes planning and for people to be ready when they are able to be ready. We don’t care when the defenders are ready because that is an advantage for the attacker, element of surprise. However, as stated before we had a hard time maintaining the siege due to a time frame when most of our fighters could not be on so they could have easily broken our siege in which case it an advantage for the defender. In real life you sue time as a strategic resource as it is used in hafen. You don’t give your opponent advantages and it isn’t always convienent for either side. You don’t go to your enemy and say oh I’m goin to siege you at this time this is how many. Big factions would especially abuse this, if we even bother getting into that argument. The bubble time idea is basically gives the attackers the chance and defenders a chance to defend over limited time that is human so it isn’t unhealthy and isn’t a ridiculous time frame of 24 or more hours and the cool down is to prevent rolling attacks to be inhuman and give the defenders a chance to recooperate.
LostJustice

Postby Luanes » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 am

I can agree with a time bubble, but how do you set it? I can see that in the old days, when they wanted to siege a castle, at least they would create barracks for the soldiers and for supplies. What do you think about it?
Luanes

Postby LostJustice » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:35 am

Luanes wrote:I can agree with a time bubble, but how do you set it? I can see that in the old days, when they wanted to siege a castle, at least they would create barracks for the soldiers and for supplies. What do you think about it?

Literally the first catapult shot fired... I literally said twice now. And old days you didn't create a barracks for soldiers... Sometimes in Greece's early period it meant marching over to your neighbor and burning the place down and coming back home... The point is, this isn't age of empires or something like guild wars... It a permadeath survival sandbox game. If a village wants to run over to their neighbour and attack a defenseless village then this should be an option at any given time at any instant since it A.) The defenders for not being prepared or having fighters B.) You don't run up to someone and say I am going to throw a rock at your front door tomorrow, you just do it. You don't run up to someone, hold a sword to them and say your going to cut them. Like that literally just makes no sense. And tbh that is life which is what this game simulates, when something happens, it should happen. I shouldn't have to say oh is your Wednesday night open? Because I want to raid you then or oh I am building a nice little barracks and in three days I am going to raid you, like wtf? Not to mention a faction could literally just build another layer of vclaims or walls or even surround the "barracks" if given notice...
LostJustice

Postby kris_hole » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:10 am

LostJustice wrote:
Luanes wrote:It a permadeath survival sandbox game.

You're right, which is why it is incredibly shitty that it literally comes down to "you have lost if you have a job and the other person doesn't" which is why something needs to be in place.

A game should not benefit players with no lives over players that have commitments outside of the game, like a job, kids, pets, etc. You're pretty much making the game inaccessible to anybody who falls within the category of "having any form of life" because whatever they do in the game won't matter when they're just going to lose a siege because they have to go to bed to get up for work whereas the opponent just sits bashing away.
kris_hole

Postby azrid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am

Siege difficulty based on population can also be heavily abused with alts.
azrid

Postby AntiBlitz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:04 am

azrid wrote:Siege difficulty based on population can also be heavily abused with alts.

could be based off the total of the players stats, like int or something.
AntiBlitz

Postby Vassteel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 am

azrid wrote:Siege difficulty based on population can also be heavily abused with alts.

you could make it based on how much EXP is generated per character, might also get more characters out and doing quests
jorb wrote:Stop shitposting.
Vassteel

Postby Zesto » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 pm

AntiBlitz wrote:

Millions of stat farming int bots are born
Zesto

Postby LostJustice » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Zesto wrote:
AntiBlitz wrote:

Millions of stat farming int bots are born

There are certain bannable offenses and I’m pretty sure that would fall in that category tbh. DiS tried this before and Jorb made a post about it. It had to do with spawning alts to generate realm auth for two realms.
Last edited by LostJustice on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostJustice

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot