The Sudden Downing of an unfortunate adventurer

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: The Sudden Downing of an unfortunate adventurer

Postby Ants » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:29 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:
Ants wrote:But even with maxed out learning ability and top tier curios, a noob won't ever have as much lp as someone who has access to all that but has been playing since the world started.

Berthedin started playing after not having played since Dis died, and made a very strong character from nothing, because he put in the effort and joined a good group.

Ants wrote:Which factions take noobs in? I've heard of factions helping noobs out once in a while, but rarely do strong people adopt noobs and take care of them completely from what I've seen.

Do you think the current faction players were never noobs? In world 7 I joined a village called Equestrian Dominion, our village allied AD, I went to some fights and met some people, asked the leader of AD at the time, Koya, if I can join, those people I met vouched for me, and I joined AD. That's one example of how a nobody joins a faction. I can tell you that every single faction player started as a noob. Will factions instantly recruit nonames who live in roundpole fences with nobody vouching for them? Probably not. Is it possible to rise up to become a faction players? Easily. Take Kankus for example. He was a member of a polish group that worked hard, they befriended Polish Dis and Hedgehugs at the same time, when Polish Dis joined Hedgehugs, Kankus and his group followed and became allied to Hedgehugs. I can guarantee you that early this world nobody knew who Kankus even is.

The point I'm trying to make seems to be completely going over your head. Faction players are not supposed to "adopt noobs and take care of them", the noobs are supposed to put in effort, meet people, become known, get recruited to smaller places that are allied to bigger places, become relevant, join bigger places.

Seriously though, how do you think any faction players started?

And to comment on the "you can't catch up" bullshit, sure you can, firstly because of the diminishing returns of combat stats, secondly because amount of players mostly outweighs amount of stats, and thirdly because not everyone plays 24/7. If you put in more effort than the person you're trying to catch up to puts in, you will catch up. Also, dying removes a good part of your stats and killing enemies is possible.

In conclusion, every single faction player started as a noob, nobody is going to "adopt" you and "take care" of you unless you put in the effort, you are not entitled to anything, the game works as intended, if you don't see that then you're successfully filling the role of the perpetual noob.

Hmm. I've known people who played for months and were friends with kings and queens yet could never go toe to toe with a titan. But if your anecdotes are correct, then I guess it is possible for a nobody to rise up. I assumed all notable faction members started relatively early in the world and powerleveled for months.

I think it's worth pointing out that true noobs don't know anything about in game politics and wouldn't know who to befriend. They often end up joining small villages that advertise on the forum or villages they come across randomly while wandering around. You were lucky that the first place you joined allied with AD. Many villages stagnate or die off for one reason or another and don't grant noobs the opportunity to meet anyone important.

I'd really like to hear Jorb's take on this. It just doesn't seem right that the only way to be safe is to use alts and hide your main behind stronger players. What about hermits and players with no desire to PVP? As things are, it seems like the only acceptable way to go explore the wilderness is with an armed group or a crappy throwaway character... :?

It feels like most people who think the game is working as intended are PVPers who get their jollies wreaking havoc, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Ants on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby azrid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Ants wrote:It just doesn't seem right that the only way to be safe is to use alts and hide your main behind stronger players. What about hermits and players with no desire to PVP? As things are, it seems like the only acceptable way to go explore the wilderness is with an armed group or a crappy throwaway character... :?

Or you could live in a peaceful area on the map.

Ants wrote:It feels like most people who think the game is working as intended are PVPers who get their jollies wreaking havoc, but I could be wrong.

You are wrong.
azrid

Postby Ants » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm

azrid wrote:
Ants wrote:It just doesn't seem right that the only way to be safe is to use alts and hide your main behind stronger players. What about hermits and players with no desire to PVP? As things are, it seems like the only acceptable way to go explore the wilderness is with an armed group or a crappy throwaway character... :?

Or you could live in a peaceful area on the map.

Ants wrote:It feels like most people who think the game is working as intended are PVPers who get their jollies wreaking havoc, but I could be wrong.

You are wrong.

There are peaceful areas on the map?
Ants

Postby azrid » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Of course.
azrid

Postby NOOBY93 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Ants wrote:You were lucky that the first place you joined allied with AD.

It wasn't, though. I've been playing since world 3 :thinking:

I was a noob playing on and off for 3 worlds before joining any legitimate pvp-relevant group and that was in w6, and you don't see me having complained on the forum about the politics being unfair. grow some balls god, stop expecting for the game to hold your hand through everything

Ants wrote:I'd really like to hear Jorb's take on this. It just doesn't seem right that the only way to be safe is to use alts and hide your main behind stronger players. What about hermits and players with no desire to PVP?

Jorb made the game like this. What makes you think that in a game that is mostly about politics/groups/connections/whatever, and collective power in general, a "hermit" SHOULD have any sort of power over factions? There should be no way to be "safe" and "toggle pvp off". If you don't want to die, just carry belts with water around and pick up speedbuffs while running away. That pretty much guarantees you will survive if you know what you're doing. If you don't know, then practice.

And exactly as you said, if you have no desire in PvP, befriend or pay someone to PvP on your behalf.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Ants » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm

NOOBY93 wrote:

I was a noob playing on and off for 3 worlds before joining any legitimate pvp-relevant group and that was in w6, and you don't see me having complained on the forum about the politics being unfair. grow some balls god, stop expecting for the game to hold your hand through everything
Hey, I'm just pointing out some things I see as flaws. I think the playerbase would grow if the game went easier on noobs, for instance, and I think players should have a chance to defend themselves without having to rely on powerful factions. I do think that PVP and permadeath add something good to the game but they're just awkwardly implemented right now.
Ants

Postby Ysh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Ants wrote:
NOOBY93 wrote:

Hey, I'm just pointing out some things I see as flaws. I think the playerbase would grow if the game went easier on noobs, for instance, and I think players should have a chance to defend themselves without having to rely on powerful factions. I do think that PVP and permadeath add something good to the game but they're just awkwardly implemented right now.

If weak player can combat strong player, what it does mean to be strong?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Ants » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Ysh wrote:If weak player can combat strong player, what it does mean to be strong?

To have more skill than someone else. It's not like strength in H&H is realistic, anyways.
Last edited by Ants on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ants

Postby Ysh » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Ants wrote:
Ysh wrote:If weak player can combat strong player, what it does mean to be strong?

To have more skill than someone else.

If this weak player have more skill than the strong player, I think these player will not be known by these title.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby NOOBY93 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Ysh wrote:
Ants wrote:

To have more skill than someone else.

If this weak player have more skill than the strong player, I think these player will not be known by these title.

Thank you.
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot