Alignment Chart

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Alignment Chart

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:43 am

jorb and loftar make a hnh discord chat. could be fun.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby neeco » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:48 am

loftar wrote:Sure wouldn't be using something like Discord, at least. It seems to almost exemplify the cancer that is every standardized protocol ever being displaced by some proprietary walled-garden on the web.

Would you care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious. I get a lot of utility out of discord. What standardized protocol would you say it's displacing?
W9: Hermit
W10: LS of EoCity
W11: God King Emperor of the East [Retired]
W12: Wouldn't you like to know

jorb wrote:The running server is the test server.
neeco

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 am

neeco wrote:Would you care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious. I get a lot of utility out of discord. What standardized protocol would you say it's displacing?

Well, I don't know exactly what Discord does. People seem to be using it as some sort of VoIP application, which I've never been big on myself to begin with, but it's clearly something that has existed since at least two decades prior to Discord. Protocols I know of include H.323 and SIP (and pretty sure there are standardized VoIP extensions for XMPP as well), but again, I haven't done much of that myself. As for text chat, there's nothing wrong with IRC or XMPP.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:05 am

loftar wrote:Well, I don't know exactly what Discord does. People seem to be using it as some sort of VoIP application, which I've never been big on myself to begin with, but it's clearly something that has existed since at least two decades prior to Discord.

It rolls Ventrillo/Teamspeak into a logged IRC/chat type client. Doesn't support video that I'm aware. Kind of like Skype but without the bloat and a much, much better interface... still bloatware IMO, and can have issues on low end systems when trying to run it in the background. I've never had issues with vent or TS when running short on system resources, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby neeco » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:13 am

loftar wrote:Well, I don't know exactly what Discord does. People seem to be using it as some sort of VoIP application, which I've never been big on myself to begin with, but it's clearly something that has existed since at least two decades prior to Discord. Protocols I know of include H.323 and SIP (and pretty sure there are standardized VoIP extensions for XMPP as well), but again, I haven't done much of that myself. As for text chat, there's nothing wrong with IRC or XMPP.

While I similarly don't know much about the protocols, etc, that you mentioned, I would say that discord is a combination of both voice and text channels. The utility I gain from it over other implementations of voice/text is the mostly user management. It has quite extensive means of permissions and access restriction combined with the ability to host text data, links, etc, and notify specific groups of people. This is very well suited for larger villages in haven, and scales up or down quite well.

Additionally I would say that it's usefulness is somewhat self-fueled. The more people use it, the most people it can reach, thus increasing its usefulness and the number of people who use it until it becomes more or less standard.

Edit:
It does support video and screen-sharing. I've never had any issues with it running in the background other than when it tries to do an in-game overlay (which you can, and I have, disabled).

neeco

Postby maze » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:23 am

I started to love discord for just as a text based chat room alone.
Keeping up with the new from all the beta games is very easy since I use discord to just compile them all into one area.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby loftar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:56 pm

neeco wrote:While I similarly don't know much about the protocols, etc, that you mentioned, I would say that discord is a combination of both voice and text channels. The utility I gain from it over other implementations of voice/text is the mostly user management. It has quite extensive means of permissions and access restriction combined with the ability to host text data, links, etc, and notify specific groups of people. This is very well suited for larger villages in haven, and scales up or down quite well.

Like I said, I haven't done much VoIP, so I can't say anything in detail, but I can't imagine any of the big open protocols can't support features like that.

Rather, is not the reason you use discord simply that it's "easy to use", by just requiring a web browser, and not any installed software or anything like that? If so, then it seems to me that it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone motivated enough to set up, say, an open SIP server and (arguably separately) a web-based client that could do exactly the same thing, except that those of us who prefer our software to not be huge, bloated JavaScript abominations could also use any other client to connect, or even use the same web-based client to connect to any third-party server, or even have multi-server, federated channels. The fact that the Discord guys didn't do that just tells me that they are more interested in locking people into their platform than they are in providing the best VoIP service.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Vigilance » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 am

loftar wrote:The fact that the Discord guys didn't do that just tells me that they are more interested in locking people into their platform than they are in providing the best VoIP service.

this is very evident by the fact that they're super pandering to younger generations and checking all the boxes those folk would desire on their all-in-one application.

also the voice codecs discord uses are garbage, 0/10. good text chat app though and the screen sharing is pretty good.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby maze » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:37 am

loftar wrote:
neeco wrote:While I similarly don't know much about the protocols, etc, that you mentioned, I would say that discord is a combination of both voice and text channels. The utility I gain from it over other implementations of voice/text is the mostly user management. It has quite extensive means of permissions and access restriction combined with the ability to host text data, links, etc, and notify specific groups of people. This is very well suited for larger villages in haven, and scales up or down quite well.

Like I said, I haven't done much VoIP, so I can't say anything in detail, but I can't imagine any of the big open protocols can't support features like that.

Rather, is not the reason you use discord simply that it's "easy to use", by just requiring a web browser, and not any installed software or anything like that? If so, then it seems to me that it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone motivated enough to set up, say, an open SIP server and (arguably separately) a web-based client that could do exactly the same thing, except that those of us who prefer our software to not be huge, bloated JavaScript abominations could also use any other client to connect, or even use the same web-based client to connect to any third-party server, or even have multi-server, federated channels. The fact that the Discord guys didn't do that just tells me that they are more interested in locking people into their platform than they are in providing the best VoIP service.

Discord protects you IP/infos.
Having 3rd partys like that would mean you would have to open peoples IP's.
or are you talking about programs that run discord but use their own program sorta overlayed--- because discord does that too already.
Discord bots also are very nice for managing large player groups.

the really nice feature of discord is that fact I can use it on my phone, web browser and software.

you can also setup discord to have authentication with forums.
"user maze join hnh discord, please type your forum name"
"maze, please check your inbox"

then you have have an ingame chat also type to discord chat with discord bots (what we did in NK for abit)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby neeco » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 am

maze wrote:you can also setup discord to have authentication with forums.

I'm not aware of this feature. Would you care to elaborate on that?

neeco

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot