A rookie mistake

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

A rookie mistake

Postby abysmalapathy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Living as a hermit, I was really excited to finally have finished my own mine. And I was lucky enough to be right next to some tin nodes (no iron yet but it was a start). Things were going great! This was actually the farthest I've gotten solo in any haven world. I've been playing for quite a few years now. But unfortunately, I'm still a complete noob. I didn't claim my mine. So, naturally, someone else came in and claimed it, destroying the palisade I had freshly built around the ladder.

Sigh, I made a rookie mistake, and now I'm exposed.

Thing is, the person who did it left a piece of really high quality ore behind, much higher than I could ever obtain on my own, so I know it's not some new player trying to steal my stuff. It's someone who is a much higher skilled player than me, who probably has access to really high quality shit already. Why do people have to do this? I would have gladly shared access, given a key, etc. But instead whoever did it has to act like a total dickhead.

I guess I'll be looking for somewhere else to live now.

Thanks, asshole.
and thanks, pea-brain for not remembering to claim your own mine. :(
general nub, pea-brain of the century
"Sonder - the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own"
abysmalapathy

Re: A rookie mistake

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 am

abysmalapathy wrote:Why do people have to do this?

Because they can. It's great that you seem to be taking it as a learning experience, though.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby abysmalapathy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:05 am

Audiosmurf wrote: Because they can. It's great that you seem to be taking it as a learning experience, though.

I'm just glad I'm not dead. :?
general nub, pea-brain of the century
"Sonder - the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own"
abysmalapathy

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:45 am

Unless people are being openly hostile, I say it's not worth moving. Just build a new one near by. I doubt they actually want anything inside. For all you know, this could have been a player from the other side of the map just passing through on a quest and decided to be a douchebag for the night.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:58 am

MagicManICT wrote:Unless people are being openly hostile, I say it's not worth moving. Just build a new one near by. I doubt they actually want anything inside. For all you know, this could have been a player from the other side of the map just passing through on a quest and decided to be a douchebag for the night.

This is good advice. It's probably 20 minutes of work, if that, to smash a fresh palisade and build a claim. I do stuff like that frequently when I'm travelling, just to teach people to be more security conscious.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby azrid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:43 am

So I guess the criminal just confessed.
azrid

Postby vatas » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:53 am

If you built palisade around the Minehole in surface, you're safe because of visitor (de)buff.
Attachments
basic hermitage plan.png
Black=wall/cornerpost Blue=gate Red=Minehole Yellow=suggested farming area Grey=Suggested house location
basic hermitage plan.png (15.83 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Tammer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:01 pm

It could be that someone with a large base nearby was protecting their mining operation and didn't want you tunneling into it. If you ask in a discord or realm chat you could probably find a place with friendlier neighbors.
Tammer

Postby borka » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:I do stuff like that frequently when I'm travelling, just to teach people to be more security conscious.

bla bla bla ... the same idiotic excuse for miserable behaviour over and over again since years ... i never ever had to destroy the fun of someone to teach them ... at least there are runestones to give advice ... if i don't want to wait for them to log in again ...

I guess you're not stealing Grandmas purse to teach not to let her handbag open for security conscious in RL ... ?!?
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:46 am

borka wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:I do stuff like that frequently when I'm travelling, just to teach people to be more security conscious.

bla bla bla ... the same idiotic excuse for miserable behaviour over and over again since years ... i never ever had to destroy the fun of someone to teach them ... at least there are runestones to give advice ... if i don't want to wait for them to log in again ...

I guess you're not stealing Grandmas purse to teach not to let her handbag open for security conscious in RL ... ?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

NORMALIZE IT
Audiosmurf

Return to The Moot