Scammed of 4 Shop Hats

Forum for discussing in game politics, village relations and matters of justice.

Re: Scammed of 4 Shop Hats

Postby Vigilance » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:00 pm

+1 to strongly discouraging future hat scammers by name&shame
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby maze » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Always use a 3rd party when trading hats.

use a well known player like maze as 3rd party. ;)
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Scammed of 4 Hats

Postby loftar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 am

Wonderful wrote:Would be as simple as making the game alert you if you had been given a hat.

That might not be a bad idea, but in the meantime, you could have confirmed that you were given the hat by picking it up and seeing whether it vanished.

shubla wrote:Maybe you should be able to wrap hats into gift boxes so their ownership could be transferred via a barterstand.

I did at one point suggest an option to "give up ownership" of a shop hat so that it acted like any ordinary item until claimed again by a player, but at the time the idea was met with opposition.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:32 am

i guess it doesnt matter if you get alerted because the person who transfers first will always have the potential to get scammed, the only difference is when you find out you were scammed X D. useless imo but a better way to trade hats could be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ChildhoodObesity

Postby shubla » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 am

jorb wrote:I gave you the hats back. Thank you for supporting the game.

Soon all people will come to demand refunds because they were scammed! This is only the beginning!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Lyrroth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:24 pm

shubla wrote:

Soon all people will come to demand refunds because they were scammed! This is only the beginning!

And Here I wasn't sure if You can get more boring...

Probably they can track hats, so scams won't pass. Jorb is a good man.
Lyrroth

Postby blank » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:56 pm

+1 good man.

who is the Hat theif!?
they must be delt with and shunned..
blank

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Isn't one of Haven's biggest selling points the ability to murder/pillage/chop down thy neighbor's orchard?

Trade scamming is bad, and if you added a mechanic to prevent it I'd be happy... But punishing somebody for theft via admin console in a game where there are a bunch of mechanics specifically to enable theft, especially when (to my knowledge) there are no rules against this kind of theft seems really bad/inconsistent.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Mario_Demorez » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Isn't one of Haven's biggest selling points the ability to murder/pillage/chop down thy neighbor's orchard?

Trade scamming is bad, and if you added a mechanic to prevent it I'd be happy... But punishing somebody for theft via admin console in a game where there are a bunch of mechanics specifically to enable theft, especially when (to my knowledge) there are no rules against this kind of theft seems really bad/inconsistent.

I don't think anyone was punished by admin intervention. The developers were kind and treated one of their patrons with kindness. I also don't believe that hats were original put in the game so that people could steal or plunder them from others, which probably means they weren't meant to be tricked out of them by "faking" losing ownership. The person who scammed Wonderful could not lose anything in this trade, it wasn't like a bandy or if he was ko'd someone could take the hat he had.
Mario_Demorez

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:I don't think anyone was punished by admin intervention. The developers were kind and treated one of their patrons with kindness. I also don't believe that hats were original put in the game so that people could steal or plunder them from others, which probably means they weren't meant to be tricked out of them by "faking" losing ownership. The person who scammed Wonderful could not lose anything in this trade, it wasn't like a bandy or if he was ko'd someone could take the hat he had.

I took this to mean they were taken from the criminal and given back to the original owner, which I would call punishment. If I risked my character by stealing my nighbor's anvil, and an admin give it back to him I'd feel cheated. Risking your reputation(more valuable than a character) to steal a hat is fairly similar, I'd say.

If this is incorrect, and new hats were generated without removing the stolen hats from the thief's account I withdraw my comments
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to The Moot