Game Development: Crime & Punishment

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Crime & Punishment

Postby Manbearpig » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 am

sorry but reading this... way to make it, how shall I put it, Gay? summoning logged off players... get out. SO if I accidently tresspass somewhere, or knock someone out, kill someone in self defence, players can summon me and kill my character while I cant even defend myself? GG
Manbearpig

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:23 am

Yeah. I have a question.

Why is it a good thing that there is now no penalty to criminal scum?

In fact, unless someone had some powerful friends, though in this case I'm good being in the hands of the Dwarven folk, and Dwarf Justice, and bounty hunters will soon be created using this new system in no time, are players significantly weaker suppose to defend their very little riches from theives?

In fact, NOW you've just taken away ALL security in this game with claims, and we can't fence our property in because we don't have fences, and if we used drying racks or something, we'd fence ourselves in.

There is absolutely no penalty besides the tracking items on criminals now. It is pitifully easy to SWINDLE everything off of properties, and offline characters can't do anything about it, because theres no fences or gates or locks Jorb!

What were you guys thinking?!
WorkerDrone

Postby Dondy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:24 am

What about if me and my buddy decide to try sparring to practice fighting?

Some vigilante comes by, sees the "Assault and Battery" spoor and comes after the pair of us?

Hmm.... If this might be a problem -and I'm thinking, if nobody complains it won't be - we might need to set up a central fighting courtyard for people to practice in.

And naturally we will need seating, ticket sales, bookies and a way to capture the wild animals so they can join the combat too!
Dondy

Postby Winter » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:25 am

interesting.. but if you follow the sonar and find the guy will there be some indication you have the right guy, before chopping off his head?
Winter

Postby loftar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:27 am

WorkerDrone wrote:In fact, NOW you've just taken away ALL security in this game with claims, and we can't fence our property in because we don't have fences, and if we used drying racks or something, we'd fence ourselves in.

That's not quite true, though. It is true that it's possible to walk on claims, but one cannot actually steal anything without having both the Trespassing and Theft skills, so in a way, it's actually more safe than it was before. I doubt the 8 HHP penalty ever deterred anyone.

Dondy wrote:What about if me and my buddy decide to try sparring to practice fighting?

I'm actually been wanting to implement an explicit "sparring mode" for some time. It's just a bit unclear how to do it in detail.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby loftar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:29 am

Winter wrote:interesting.. but if you follow the sonar and find the guy will there be some indication you have the right guy, before chopping off his head?

There is no explicit notification, but you can always circle him a bit and see so that the sonar keeps pointing in his direction. (Providing that the smell has a sufficient number of uses left, of course)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jorb » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:30 am

Killing a thief will make you yourself a murderer. I would explain some of our reasoning behind this, but I am presently exhausted from twelve hours of non-stop developing and I am going to bed. Will answer questions and what not tomorrow.

Please note that unless you kill, steal or knock someone out, you are at least as safe as you were before. Neither assault nor trespassing have other consequences than a chance to find you. If you do not go around messing with other people's stuff, you're cool. Stealing, attacking to knock out and killing players now come with one metric assload of risk.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 am

I was talking about criminals. A criminal is a person who can commit these crimes. In fact, were still talking about the same people, because you needed those two skills before anyway!

The point is moot, we still have no security against the same amount of people I was talking about.

That AND the point of NO security buildings or skills what so ever!

This is stupid. Why are you letting criminal scum have their fun before releasing fences and gates and locks?!?!

In the coming weeks people are going to be swindled and the nominal fee in instance required by Milaha I won't be able to PAY because the theif just STOLE all of my worldly goods.
WorkerDrone

Postby Malicus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:32 am

Okay, that means that recovering your stuff is a crime. WHY?
Malicus

Postby Raephire » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:33 am

I have an issue, I'm trying to build a meat grinder but since the update I can't find it anywhere
Raephire

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements