Maintenance downtime: Harddrive replacement (sigh)

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Maintenance downtime: Harddrive replacement (sigh)

Postby Hoshichie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 am

From what I've been reading, the lag cannot be a "quick fix". I would rather have the patience and work through this lag having as much as I can while they finished their paying job and then do a total revamp, which should include a fix to the lag. It would also mean that everyone will be on the same page when they bring it out and trying to figure out how the systems work again.
Hoshichie

Postby tempwad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:10 am

Hoshichie wrote:From what I've been reading, the lag cannot be a "quick fix". I would rather have the patience and work through this lag having as much as I can while they finished their paying job and then do a total revamp, which should include a fix to the lag. It would also mean that everyone will be on the same page when they bring it out and trying to figure out how the systems work again.

i didn't said 'lag quick fix', i said - 'fix lag and quick fix for bugrams'.

and the lag have absolute no connection to revamping game mechanics.
trapped? masturbate.
tempwad

Postby Neptjunoue » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Devs probably don't have time of yet to fix the lag. Bug ram quick fix should be fast enough to do though. I still do not see why they would not delegate tasks to coders that are as fluent with java, as in hire a baby-sitter for their baby.
Reaper, Reaper, that's what people call me! Why?
Cause they all die! When I sing, I end their lives
You act as though payback makes you a noble man
Is that a fact? Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!
Neptjunoue

Postby marvi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Neptjunoue wrote:I still do not see why they would not delegate tasks to coders that are as fluent with java, as in hire a baby-sitter for their baby.

• It can be matter of trust/paranoia. It's like accepting a new member to your village. Can be a nice guy but after some simple disagreement -- decides to make something controversial (e.g. make his open source fork).
  • The changes "babysitter" will be making would require supervising I believe. And I think loftar would've to answer a lot of questions.

Also, the fluency with C is required, not Java. I think that reduces possible list of "babysitters" quite drastically.
marvi

Postby borka » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:59 pm

yep what Ken said - and also it wouldn't be only a Java programmer that's needed but a C "coder" who's also fit in Debian...biggest problem is that "Babysitter" would get insight of server sourcecode and that's prolly too precious for Loftar...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby Alex_Raven » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Paranoia in what? That someone will take code, fix the lags, will add requested features on constatnt basis? Make the game overall better?
But isn't it excatly what we all desire ere?
Alex_Raven

Postby FictionRyu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Alex_Raven wrote:Paranoia in what? That someone will take code, fix the lags, will add requested features on constatnt basis? Make the game overall better?
But isn't it excatly what we all desire ere?

Paranoia that someone will take the game, re-brand it, and make all the credit for the game go to the new guy. In short: paranoia that someone will steal the game.
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

Postby Alex_Raven » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm

You're talking nonsense. Understant that it's a niche game. 300 online, no profit and terrible lag - why would anyone want to steal such a game?
Furthermoe, for the game of such complexity - it's easier (in terms of man-hours) to write the clone from scratch, that re-write, optimize or tweak this laggy monster.
Last edited by Alex_Raven on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex_Raven

Postby Deuces » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Psh, it doesn't require stealing codes to steal an entire concept.
If I am about to die, the first thing I will do is ask god about my life warranty.
Deuces

Postby FictionRyu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Alex_Raven wrote:You're talking nonsense. Understant that it's a niche game. 300 online, no profit and terrible lag - why would anyone want to steal such a game?
Furthermoe, for the game of such complexity - it's easier (in terms of man-hours) to write the clone from scratch, that re-write, optimize or tweak this laggy monster.

LMAO. I'm talking nonsense? The right team of people or the right person can come along, steal this game, make HUGE profit. This game is an innovative game. As is there's not really anything like it other than Salem. Even that's being harshly criticized.

Someone can come along and fix the lag. You know how many people will come flocking back once the lag is gone? I know my good friend and I would come back to playing this game if the lag were to be fixed.

It could be easier to make a clone, but to a business man, he'd see it to be a better profit to just fix the existing problems and throw in a few bones for the old dogs who play still.

Stealing this game could be a very plausible possibility. Given the right circumstances, this game could {theoretically} be as big as say Runescape. Or WoW.
Scooby Doo taught us that the real monsters are humans.
FictionRyu

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements