Game Development: I was a Highwayman

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: I was a Highwayman

Postby LOMS » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 am

hmm.
What are my steps to build a highway? I think I'm a little misunderstood the first post. I have a pair of obelisks and a bit of columns between them. But I can not install the sign.

added: now I get it. Again.
I must install a sign on ever single column I build. Then it will works.
Can take new sign from column, where I actually install the same sign.
LOMS

Postby Rechado » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 am

How long before the first traffic jams?
Rechado

Postby Kirary » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 am

loftar wrote:You may want to try building the milestone to the side of the road. ;)
(EDIT: To clarify, not in a straight line.)

Test it!
It did not help.
Kirary

Postby ImpalerWrG » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 am

I recall suggesting something along these lines as nerfed form of teleporting which would do pathfinding each trip. This implementation sounds like it's got it's kinks but I think it could prove successful as a replacement for signs IF the player gets some kind of boost to speed or reduced stamina drain (in addition to any road surface being walked on). If this works for roads then creating an equivalent water-way system built around lighthouses should be a priority.
ImpalerWrG

Postby Zelacks » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:06 am

This is great, but it would be nice to be able to remove signs, or if already able to, tell me how to :<
Around Zelacks -- NEVER RELAX
Zelacks

Postby Kirary » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:07 am

Zelacks wrote:This is great, but it would be nice to be able to remove signs, or if already able to, tell me how to :<

Destroy it :twisted:
Kirary

Postby jorb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:09 am

From what little testing I got on it tonight it felt pretty good. You need to plan your road if carts are going to work on it with any reasonable amount of success. But if it does work, then, with horses, barges, and whatnot, it might not be a completely unworkable system. As the crow flies, at running speed (speed three), it should take 18 IRL minutes to cross a supergrid. Assume horses can walk at above that with cart carrying ~16 objects continuously... assume boats could go that fast, and carry even more. You'd need a better river generator, probably, but still. You might even want to make it even easier to walk along paths, and have shoes and whatnot impact that walking system. You'd have to travel, but at least you could sit back and enjoy yourself while the landscape swooshes by. Plus you'd have to actually build roads! And there could be robbers and highwaymen. Caravans, stage coaches.

But I guess we should see if baby can walk first. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:11 am

Perhaps villages can build specific milestones that work as authority objects protecting the road.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby jorb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 am

You could set noobs to work as road builders. :)

Also, dirt should probably be a good standard for roads. Stone should be something extra on roads.

jorb

Along the coach roads I did ride

Postby KoE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 am

Blah, was gonna give this a whirl but it's a bit late for me to dig up 150 rocks and my hemp'll be in tomorrow so I can make some ropes just for this.

I was going to say I wasn't sure if this would completely replace teleportation, but 18 minutes to cross a supergrid doesn't sound as bad as I thought. I definitely support roads not being largely obsolete (I do so miss the superhighways of the first map!) And if we get wagons, horses, and such I will be incredibly happy. One of the things I've wanted to do in H&H since day 1 was a cattle drive (completely wrong mythos, I know) and this seems like a step closer to that.

I have to admit this came totally out of left field, but feels like a pretty snazzy new toy. Will report more tomorrow, most likely.

EDIT BECAUSE JORB KEEPS POSTING WHEN I'M TRYING TO

The return of dirt roads would also be sweet (I was watching one of the videos from the first world and being able to make your own mud flats is something I miss now too.)
KoE

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements