Regarding The Forums: Welcome to H&H

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Regarding The Forums: Welcome to H&H

Postby jorb » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Peter wrote:
jorb wrote:Me and loftar have a lot in common...
Oh, not to nit-pick, but in English that is better put as "Loftar and I...". It's one of the most common native speaker mistakes anyway.

As if American English exclusively uses that convention. :P
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 pm

niltrias wrote:
Peter wrote:
jorb wrote:Me and loftar have a lot in common...
Oh, not to nit-pick, but in English that is better put as "Loftar and I...". It's one of the most common native speaker mistakes anyway.

You...know nothing...right?

Anyway I look at it he's correct, though (and it would be congruous with the other Germanic languages I know). If you have an alternate interpretation that makes for the opposite, however, I am very interested in hearing it. I've long been curious as to how the "me and ..." form has arisen.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:33 pm

I think that "X and me" is the correct form in pretty much all languages, but nobody uses it. It's natural to put the name of the person you feel is most important first, and if somebody else is more important to you than yourself you've got some issues.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think that "X and me" is the correct form in pretty much all languages, but nobody uses it. It's natural to put the name of the person you feel is most important first, and if somebody else is more important to you than yourself you've got some issues.

I may have misinterpreted it, of course, but I'm pretty sure the discussion was about whether "I" or "me" should be used.
loftar

Postby sabinati » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:52 pm

well, it's generally considered "improper" to list yourself first. for i and me, i is the subjective pronoun and me is the predicative pronoun, i.e. i went with him / he went with me. a good rule of thumb for which one to use when listing yourself with a group of people is to remove the group of people from the phrase, e.g. "me have a lot in common...", which is incorrect. me isn't the word for doing an action, me is the word for receiving an action. he has a lot in common with me / i have a lot in common with him.
sabinati

Postby loftar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:59 pm

sabinati wrote:for i and me, i is the subjective pronoun and me is the predicative pronoun

Interesting terminology. I would say that "I" and "me" are the nominative and object cases of the personal pronoun "I". Is that some standard terminology in English?

Either way, that's precisely why it should reasonable be "I and Jorb made a game together" -- as opposed to "Me and Jorb", as seems, however, to be almost idiomatic English. That's why I was wondering how that has come to be.
loftar

Postby g1real » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Seriously now.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby sabinati » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm

loftar wrote:
sabinati wrote:for i and me, i is the subjective pronoun and me is the predicative pronoun

Interesting terminology. I would say that "I" and "me" are the nominative and object cases of the personal pronoun "I". Is that some standard terminology in English?

Either way, that's precisely why it should reasonable be "I and Jorb made a game together" -- as opposed to "Me and Jorb", as seems, however, to be almost idiomatic English. That's why I was wondering how that has come to be.

nominative and objective are probably more accurate terms than subjective and predicative.

"jorb and i" would be correct, and while saying "me and jorb" gets the point across, it sort of makes one sound like a hillbilly
sabinati

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 pm

I = ich
me = mich/mir

At least that's how I understand it.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Orteil » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:10 pm

don't mind me
Orteil