Dev diary: Ritual, Skills, Wyrd

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Dev Diary: Ritual, Skills, Wyrd

Postby Jackard » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:27 pm

and its another individual-focused mechanic as opposed to one that encourages groups. what happens to the party that is marching together and has a few members run out of wyrd?

marching really sounds like a bad idea. lets just get mounts and vehicles, which have more utility
Jackard

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:11 am

Agreed. I mean, I really like the idea of this (some of the proposed items sound REALLY TEDIOUS). Otoh....that doesn't mean group mechanics can't be added. For example, more wyrd goes a lot further and when traveling in a caravan all parties pool their wyrd together and it's expended at a normal rate. THis would allow 'march' to combine with mounted (if not require) transportation. Which means increased capacity (something like 8 chests). Large boats should be able ot use march and carry even mroe and move faster.

Also, for march to eve work either on land or on sea there needs to be some kind of player-pathfinding that avoid trees (or better yet ignored them) and can navigate rivers.

I suppose this CAN work if you can build a boat large enough to reasonably stick a wagon, horses and cargo on it.

All that said, march would have ot be REALLY CHEAP and there should be other methods of achieving 'fast' travel though maybe not nearly as fast but march would have ot be REALLY FAST. I'm talking...no more than 5 or 10 minutes to get to RoB from the current edge of the world.

THAT SAID....you REALLY need to think about how small you're making the world when you do that....and I would really beseech you to fix defensive and/or retaliatory capabilities first.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 am

I think marching should be limited to roads, which consist of a series of milestones (actual road optional, maybe required for marching with a cart or a wagon). The milestones should have a clear straight line between them to avoid pathing issues, if something blocks the road you drop out of marching at the last milestone you can get to. Actual marching should be automatic (ie no constant clicking), and only make you click when you need to decide which way to go on crossroads. Of course, you can stop on your own at any time. Unused roads should deteriorate. I guess lighthouses or something could be used for ships.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Chakravanti » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 am

Except that that's like handing everyone in the heartlands a crossroads to your village =/
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby theTrav » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:55 am

Last few options seem a little OP in their initial imagining.

Also, LOL @ timber song. That in the hands of a noob/griefer/clear cutter will be a truly terrible sight to behold.
theTrav

Postby Jackard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:06 am

you can remove noob from that since they prob wont have enough wyrd to handle the upkeep

timber song seems pretty handy to me but ive built long forest roads before (which could be rendered pointless by marching)
Last edited by Jackard on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackard

Postby Peripheral » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:07 am

I know I'm probably in the minority by thinking this... But I agree with Jackard in that I think it'd be a much more interesting and realistic experience if there were no fast travel at all, barring maybe sprinting/running speed for carts on paved roads. I would much rather see larger land and see transportation vehicles, ie horse drawn carriages and barges for rivers. This would probably make it so more trading centers such as Brodgar would pop up around the map, because people on the furthest supergrid wouldn't want to travel all the way to Brodgar to trade their items. Having several Brodgars throughout the map would also lead to very interesting politics. Trading between large cities would be a huge task, the traders most likely needing to traverse large distances, while at the same time having to watch out for bandits looking to steal their wealth... Ack, went on about this longer than I thought. But, yeah, in my opinion it'd be great to see no magic super-travel which allows someone to traverse many supergrids in 30mins, and instead promote regional city-building by adding a more diverse amount of transport vehicles. :D
Peripheral

Postby Gauteamus » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:14 am

I agree with Peripheral - get rid of Fast Travel.

Trading needs to be encouraged through other means than the ability to easily meet up with practically anyone you may have spoken to on the forum.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:19 am

Chakravanti wrote:Except that that's like handing everyone in the heartlands a crossroads to your village =/

That's the price of being well-connected. It makes sense that secret hideouts should be hard to reach. Hopefully we'll get better defensive measures before we get this stuff (it's a part of skills overhaul, so it likely won't happen before the next map reset), so obscurity should no longer be the only defence.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:28 am

Gauteamus wrote:I agree with Peripheral - get rid of Fast Travel.

dont get rid of fast travel without something to replace it first...........
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements