Game Development: Villages Extended

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby Vanigo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:43 am

JTG wrote:Eagerly awaiting object destruction. I just hope theres a way to break hearthfires. Otherwise vaults will just become unused, and people will hfire cabin doors and mines. More than they do now.

I'll agree that it's an exploit, but do you really think letting trespassers destroy peoples' hearthfires would be an improvement? I'd think even you would agree there should be some limits to what griefers can do; otherwise everyone else quits and the griefers have nothing to do.
Vanigo

Postby Raephire » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:41 pm

JTG only cares about what he wants, not about balance, not about improving the game, just his fun.
Raephire

Postby zdazzle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Hearthfires are a bad idea to destroy. What should be added is locks to doors (keys craft-able from clay molds and iron bars) and then a crow bar to break the door lock (for thieves). Also a trap door can be put over the mine, it'd work the same as a regular door, only allowing those with keys to enter, unless broken in with a crowbar.
zdazzle

Postby Hamel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:23 pm

zdazzle wrote:Hearthfires are a bad idea to destroy. What should be added is locks to doors (keys craft-able from clay molds and iron bars) and then a crow bar to break the door lock (for thieves). Also a trap door can be put over the mine, it'd work the same as a regular door, only allowing those with keys to enter, unless broken in with a crowbar.

I don't think crowbars are a good idea. I think there should be two skills, locksmithing and lockpicking. Locksmithing would determine how strong the locks are when made. Lockpicking would determine how well the burglar could open the lock. Thus you could have incredibly good locksmiths, selling their locks for an arm and a leg, because almost no one could open their locks. And you could have incredibly good burglars, who could pick even the best locks on the market.

Winter wrote:Urg, well I was the Lawspeaker of my village and I seem to somehow have accidentally left the village or something... Now what do I do?...

Ouch, I was just thinking to myself how horrible it would be if I accidentally pressed that. Do you get several warning windows? You should.

"Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes.) "Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes!) "Are you absolutely certain that you want to leave the village?" (Yes!!!)
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby kaka » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Hamel wrote:"Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes.) "Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes!) "Are you absolutely certain that you want to leave the village?" (Yes!!!)

You forgot "Is that your final answer?". ;)
kaka

Postby Winter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Hamel wrote:
Winter wrote:Urg, well I was the Lawspeaker of my village and I seem to somehow have accidentally left the village or something... Now what do I do?...

Ouch, I was just thinking to myself how horrible it would be if I accidentally pressed that. Do you get several warning windows? You should.

"Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes.) "Are you sure you want to leave the village?" (Yes!) "Are you absolutely certain that you want to leave the village?" (Yes!!!)

I have no clue of how or when I left the village, I just noticed that my authority meter was gone, which I thought was odd so I restarted my client and it still wasn't there and neither was the government skills, etc .. I'm guessing I might have accidentally pressed the button at some point without realizing it...
Winter

Postby Vanigo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Raephire wrote:JTG only cares about what he wants, not about balance, not about improving the game, just his fun.

Oh, I know. My point is that even the most dedicated griefer should recognize that some things are just plain game-destroying, which ruins everyone's fun - including the griefers, since no one else will be around to grief.
Vanigo

Postby Blaze » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:20 pm

I'll agree that hearthfire locks are exploits - I use them too after all :p - but destroying them is a bit extreme.

An easier way would be to make Hfires take up more space. 2-tiles of space between another object should be enough.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby theTrav » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:02 am

everything should be destroyable, why are hearth fires any different in that regard? Are they made out of magic indestructable branches or something?

The impact isn't even that harsh, you just have to walk back form the RoB.

I'm assuming there's a lot of barriers between a new player and breaking stuff on a claim LP wise, so just track and destroy whoever does it to you and BAM there goes their time investment to cause you perhaps minor inconvenience
theTrav

Postby Ferinex » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:09 am

theTrav wrote:everything should be destroyable, why are hearth fires any different in that regard? Are they made out of magic indestructable branches or something?

The impact isn't even that harsh, you just have to walk back form the RoB.

I'm assuming there's a lot of barriers between a new player and breaking stuff on a claim LP wise, so just track and destroy whoever does it to you and BAM there goes their time investment to cause you perhaps minor inconvenience

One could argue that the Beautiful Dreams are indeed magical, and hold the branches in place. ;)
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements