Game Development: Some fixes

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Some fixes

Postby BlueFire » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:53 am

thanks so much that got it working!

I fell like I was blind and now I can see :D
BlueFire

Postby Gauteamus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 am

Potjeh wrote:You could've kept tidiness for hunger reduction only (so no FEP bonus from it). Also, boost the diversity bonus. Make it take off a fixed percentage of the current bar rather than square root, or something.

Crazy idea: base something, e.g. a reduced tidiness bonus as Potjeh suggests, on a characters LOWEST Attribute - keeping to a strict diet suggests some inclination towards tidiness, no?

I agree that the diversity bonus could use to be better, after all, one of the things that hit you with Haven is the food diversity - I feel the situation today is that alot of the energy spent making foods is put into afew staple food items, be they BBC, cavebulbs or DDD. I never made half of the seafood recipes (buffing them with more FEPs is another discussion).

I had an idea when the diversity bonus was first introduced, that I would like to bring up again - it may strike you as abit unKISS, but the point is to encourage eating alot of different Str foods if you want to raise Str.

Pseudoish code:
------------------------
For each character:
store a list of the types of food eaten in the current FEP bar.
foods_eaten = { Sturgeon, Cavebulb, Mussle, Ring of Brodgar(bagel), Ring of Brodgar(eel) }

For each Attribute:
Count number of distinct food types eaten that contribute towards current Attr.
number_of_Attr_foods
Calculate normal amount of FEP accumulated in the current Attr., as per todays rules. (Increasing FEP with pepper, quality, pot etc.)
base_Attr_fep
Multiply base_fep with a number that increases with increasing number_of_foods
The function used to calculate this modifier can be linear, square root, or some other ever increasing function.
total_Attr_fep = base_Attr_fep * sqrt( number_of_Attr_foods )

Sum the total_Attr_fep of all Attributes, display them, and see if the FEP bar is filled.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Thurrok » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Now that tables are nerfed, eating variety foods (ants, q1 veggies) has gotten back its appeal. They kept telling me I was crazy, but I knew better. Hurrrr...

About that FEP bar idea, there's already a thread in C&I about adding a FEP overview to foods' hover menu - it reminds me of your post. Loftar thought about it and said something about problems with bandwidth efficiency, don't remember exactly what it was though.
Menschen sind Scheiße. Überall.

HAIL CATFACE!
Thurrok

Postby Oddity » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 pm

loftar wrote:For the record, the greatest problem with the brick tiles is that the tiles themselves are 11x11 isometric pixels; that is, prime. It's kind of hard to find a regular pattern to tile over that.

Why did you choose 11x11 for the size of the tiles?
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby Mqrius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Because then it has a center.
Mqrius

Postby Gauteamus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:21 am

Making pixel art with the new tiles is all fun and games, but for more utility, it would be nice to have a couple more colours to play with.
We currently have 5 colours of clay, 1 mud, 1 grass, 1 stone and 1 gold = 9 easily controllable colours (excluding forest as too complex to represent the reals.)

With only one more colour to play with, we could let the tiles code for decimal digits much like on resistors, and leave mnemonic marks to suggest the quality of a pile of logs, a kiln, tanning tub, or other object.

With two new tiles, one would not have to use precious gold to leave the number-by-colours, while still creating a market for the more rare clays.

How about bronze and woodblocks being tileable?

EDIT: duh, forgot stone, but I got the sum correct, there still are just nine arguably easily controlled tile colours.
Last edited by Gauteamus on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
Gauteamus

Postby Granger » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Gauteamus wrote:Making pixel art with the new tiles is all fun and games, but for more utility, it would be nice to have a couple more colours to play with.
We currently have 5 colours of clay, 1 mud, 1 grass, and 1 gold = 9 easily controllable colours (excluding forest as too complex to represent the reals.)

With only one more colour to play with, we could let the tiles code for decimal digits much like on resistors, and leave mnemonic marks to suggest the quality of a pile of logs, a kiln, tanning tub, or other object.

With two new tiles, one would not have to use precious gold to leave the number-by-colours, while still creating a market for the more rare clays.

How about bronze and woodblocks being tileable?

Stone pavement?
Or use a different number base (eg. 8) ?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Gauteamus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:35 pm

I forgot to mention stone in the post, but the sum of colours was correct, there are 9 different controllable tile colours.
And, yes, I could use octal, but I find it harder to read than decimal.
Image<<Bottleneck>>
Gauteamus

Postby DatOneGuy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Most (all?) people naturally tend to use decimal today, the whole point would be to make it easy to read. Does it have 3 tiles? It's above q100, looking at a glance should show the quality too.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby Zirikana » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:10 pm

What about tile creep? or does that only happen on unclaimed land? (I forget)
"Bein' a minotaur is a lot like bein' a regular human except moo" - J. Rowland
Zirikana

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements