Game Development: Villages Extended

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Villages Extended

Postby RiverPhoenix » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:04 pm

theTrav wrote:everything should be destroyable, why are hearth fires any different in that regard? Are they made out of magic indestructible branches or something?

The impact isn't even that harsh, you just have to walk back form the RoB.

I'm assuming there's a lot of barriers between a new player and breaking stuff on a claim LP wise, so just track and destroy whoever does it to you and BAM there goes their time investment to cause you perhaps minor inconvenience

Walking back from the RoB might in future take hours... that's some serious inconvenience when you have to do that to find the scent for who destroyed your fire and then hunt them down and kill them/destroy their hearthfire.

I agree that the beautiful dreams could indeed make the hearthfire magically bound... but I also think you should be able to build one any closer than one away from any other object (which would stop them being used as locks).

As for everything being breakable I would expect that breaking a kiln or furnace would take rather a long time and lots of energy - have you ever tried breaking down even a drystone wall? Hard work - pretty much the same as trying to build it. But then a cement and brick wall? (or a baked furnace or kiln) - that's gotta be a lot harder work - they build houses with people putting it all together but need wrecking balls, bulldozers or even dynamite to bring down those same constructions! :)

Just my two cents worth ;)

River :)
RiverPhoenix

Postby Matt_S » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:31 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just make hearth fires passable? No more hearth fire locks, and no need for hearth fires to be destructible.
Matt_S

Postby Hamel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:58 am

Matt_S wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just make hearth fires passable? No more hearth fire locks, and no need for hearth fires to be destructible.

They increase the civilization level of an area to unnecessary heights. They must be removable. Or the world will eventually be filled with inactive hearth fires, causing the world to become far too docile.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby kobnach » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:59 am

Matt_S wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just make hearth fires passable? No more hearth fire locks, and no need for hearth fires to be destructible.

Frankly, given the almost complete lack of defence against thieves and griefers, we need hearth fire locks.
kobnach

Postby Matt_S » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:04 am

Hamel wrote:

They increase the civilization level of an area to unnecessary heights. They must be removable. Or the world will eventually be filled with inactive hearth fires, causing the world to become far too docile.

Then maybe make it so only active hearth fires increase civilization levels.

kobnach wrote:

Frankly, given the almost complete lack of defence against thieves and griefers, we need hearth fire locks.

I don't know enough about the situation to respond with an adequate solution :geek:
Matt_S

Postby Hamel » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:29 am

Matt_S wrote:
Hamel wrote:They increase the civilization level of an area to unnecessary heights. They must be removable. Or the world will eventually be filled with inactive hearth fires, causing the world to become far too docile.

Then maybe make it so only active hearth fires increase civilization levels.

That would work. But, it is as Kobnach has said, hearthfire locks are a necessary evil to prevent the world from falling into complete chaos. That being said, I do not think hearthfires should be removable until locks have been implemented, and even then, it should be a village ability, to prevent too much abuse.

It should also be mentioned that hearthfires block future construction, so that is yet another reason to make them removable.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby theTrav » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:14 am

losing 100% thief proofing != chaos.

what if you lost locking but thieving cost 100,000 LP? I doubt there'd be many griefers who'd bother it.
What about 50,000 LP? What about 1,000LP? what about 20,000LP?

If you'll accept the 100k then it's just a matter of finding a high enough wall to keep em out.

Personally I'm a fan of tiered thieving systems. 10k for the basic "nick stuff on claim" maybe 20k on top of that for "nick stuff in claimed house" maybe 40k on that for "open lock created by 20klp lock crafting skill"
theTrav

Postby Ferinex » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:09 am

theTrav wrote:losing 100% thief proofing != chaos.

what if you lost locking but thieving cost 100,000 LP? I doubt there'd be many griefers who'd bother it.
What about 50,000 LP? What about 1,000LP? what about 20,000LP?

If you'll accept the 100k then it's just a matter of finding a high enough wall to keep em out.

Personally I'm a fan of tiered thieving systems. 10k for the basic "nick stuff on claim" maybe 20k on top of that for "nick stuff in claimed house" maybe 40k on that for "open lock created by 20klp lock crafting skill"

In real life it is much easier to pick a lock than it is to craft one.

Also, stealing is not difficult in real life - what prevents us from doing it are the consequences. However, this goes back in on the circle of having an alt killed not being a real punishment. I, honest to god, cannot think of a solution.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby RiverPhoenix » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:11 am

Ferinex wrote:In real life it is much easier to pick a lock than it is to craft one.

Also, stealing is not difficult in real life - what prevents us from doing it are the consequences.

Picking a lock in real life is only easy that making one if you have a copy of the lock in front of you to play with and you are trying to pick two a penny locks... custom made locks are very much harder to break and any locksmith (as the term used to be applied) could make a lock that required quite some ingenuity to pick (never mind strength with a lot of locks over two hundred years old).

Here's a thought... if an alt is permadead (bearing in mind it'd have to be a pretty good alt to have a 20,000LP lockpicking/thieving skill (for example)), maybe the hearth fire then summons another of that persons characters instead - though I guess then you just have multiple accounts - damn.

Hmmm... maybe you should require that people getting high level uncivilised skills be (varying degrees of) barbarian and/or death e.g. getting murder skill requires level 5 death and level 4 barbarian, burning something to the ground - level 3 / level 3, pillaging/thieving - level 1 / level 2, trespass level 1 / level 1.

Just a thought - at least it means that you have to expend more time and effort to get to the point where you can grief (and then die).

River :)

P.S. Though this should probably go in the suggestions/ideas area a thought occurs that if people were able to have families (and were able to take over one of those family members if they permanently died - kid would follow parent around and "take" part of the LP gain (and so maybe start with some skills/attributes already learnt) the parent had until they were old enough to be controlled by a machine AI (definable by the user e.g. harvest that field - they would be slower than a player by far due to being young, inexperienced and shorter - or guard this hut, useful, though they may die a griefer then has more to deal with than an unguarded hut and if you had loads of kids it might make things a little more interesting! ;) and then continued until the player took them over) then this could add both a lot more variability to the game but also allow people to live very much further from the starting point where griefers might spawn making things harder again.
RiverPhoenix

Postby sami1337 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 am

Uhm a trained smith can pick a lock within 5 minutes with some tools. And you bump key almost all locks.

Also, why not make heartfires removable on village territory for say 5000 authority?
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements