Announcement: Map Preview

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Announcement: Map Preview

Postby Snuggletummy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:18 pm

This is amazing. Also, do you think that maybe you could add a weather system in the future? Like maybe one day there would be rain, then another day there would be fog, and a few others that could occur would be like snow, hail, things like that, and maybe like a drought here and there, or even a mix of them. Erm, yeah. Still though, I love this game so far.
Snuggletummy

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:14 am

Junkfist2 wrote:
jorb wrote:On a macro level the map gen still operates ön the macaroni art principle. It has, however, been improved in several important ways -- rivers, to name one -- so it looks a whole lot better now than it used to.

Could you expound on this when you have the time? I only ask because goddamn do I hate the macaroni look, especially when I see the full maps, for the reason that it leaves the game completely devoid of regional flavor.

Will the macaroni "noodles" be bigger? More sanely shaped? Will some areas of land have a different "base" than grass with the other ground tiles serving as the deviation? (i.e. huge forest/clay with bits of grassland and other terrain. I'd love to see a forest/swamp area as big as the lake with clearings of dirt or grass thrown in)

Yeah... : /

also heath is the place to be
Jackard

Postby Peter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:33 am

Well, what he could do is have the map gen draw start with deep water and then draw really BIG macaronis on top of this out of grass, dirt, and forest, and the subtypes. Then, draw large macaronis on top of that terrain, and then one layer of macaronis about the same size as they are now, and then maybe a fine detail layer that just adds some interest.

Then have it paint rivers and draw beaches and shallows, maybe any implied things. Maybe have it check and correct things like one-tile islands of any terrain.

There you go. Code reuse AND all kinds of terrain variation.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Lightning4 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:56 am

Peter wrote:Well, what he could do is have the map gen draw start with deep water and then draw really BIG macaronis on top of this out of grass, dirt, and forest, and the subtypes. Then, draw large macaronis on top of that terrain, and then one layer of macaronis about the same size as they are now, and then maybe a fine detail layer that just adds some interest.

That's no good. That only made me hungry.
Lightning4

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Jorb already posted a warning, and we'll post a couple of more, but having taken Kaka for a tour on the new maps, I think it is proper to add another one now as well:

Do not underestimate the danger in swimming. It has already been said that swimming drains your stamina really quickly, and that running out of stamina leads to your character drowning immediately. It has not been said, however, that it also disables your inventory, equipment and action menu (so there will be no sipping of tea to get any further), and nor has it been said that your character will be unable to log out while swimming (so you cannot close the client to save his sorry ass).

A completely new noob character with strength 10 will, if I remember correctly, be able to get two tiles or so before drowning. The stamina drain decreases rather quickly with increasing strength, but you'll probably want at least strength 30-40 before even attempting to swim, I think. Crossing any sizable rivers should not be attempted by anyone below strength 60. Crossing lakes is -- well -- unthinkable.

I think we'll be able to finish the changes required to replace the maps in a week or two. When we do, please keep a very watchful eye on your stamina meter while swimming. Really. It's dangerous.

Hopefully, we'll be able to add boats not long after that. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby g1real » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:07 pm

loftar wrote:Harsh warning

Can't you make it be affected by constitution a little bit.

I've got such a high con compared to my str.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby ArPharazon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 pm

ArPharazon

Postby Laremere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:05 pm

I'd rather wait a bit longer for the new map if it means we'll have everything we need (map making, boats) when we do get the map, instead of being thrown into a new world, and not being able to go that far. Also, we need bridges.
Laremere

Postby Pumpkin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:29 pm

loftar wrote:Jorb already posted a warning, and we'll post a couple of more, but having taken Kaka for a tour on the new maps, I think it is proper to add another one now as well:

Do not underestimate the danger in swimming. It has already been said that swimming drains your stamina really quickly, and that running out of stamina leads to your character drowning immediately. It has not been said, however, that it also disables your inventory, equipment and action menu (so there will be no sipping of tea to get any further), and nor has it been said that your character will be unable to log out while swimming (so you cannot close the client to save his sorry ass).

A completely new noob character with strength 10 will, if I remember correctly, be able to get two tiles or so before drowning. The stamina drain decreases rather quickly with increasing strength, but you'll probably want at least strength 30-40 before even attempting to swim, I think. Crossing any sizable rivers should not be attempted by anyone below strength 60. Crossing lakes is -- well -- unthinkable.

I think we'll be able to finish the changes required to replace the maps in a week or two. When we do, please keep a very watchful eye on your stamina meter while swimming. Really. It's dangerous.

Hopefully, we'll be able to add boats not long after that. :)

As nice as it is for the high level players to benefit from their high str, how about you guys make a change that doesn't cater to it and split it between con and str?
Pumpkin

Postby Junkfist2 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Honestly I'd make it just con. It's about being fit, not buff.
Junkfist2

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements