Announcement: Map Preview

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Announcement: Map Preview

Postby Laremere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:50 pm

Con and maybe Agi I would say. Strength doesn't matter as much as endurance. Not to forget that strength has enough uses right now, while con only helps with health (just like strength, though it has twice the effect of strength.)

Edit: What about the possibility of making swimming a skill? It would keep newbies from walking right into the water and killing themselves, hopefully giving them enough play time before they get it to learn that it is horribly dangerous.
Laremere

Postby ToxxicZombie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:21 pm

I can just imagine it now. Thousands and thousands of skeletons near the river... I think that would make me :lol: and :roll: at the same time.

I agree, swimming should be a learned skill. Making the rivers and lakes far less dangerous to the newbs.

Animals should also probably be able to drown. One couldn't simply just lead an animal into the water, because generally it would just follow you out and you can't stay in because you would die as well. Drowning of animals would just kind of happen randomly. lulz
Ohshi' it's a girl on teh internetz.

Rape and Pillage men, RAPE and Pillage!!!
ToxxicZombie

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

It can, indeed, be argued that swimming should be based on con instead of str. That's probably correct.
Laremere wrote:What about the possibility of making swimming a skill? It would keep newbies from walking right into the water and killing themselves, hopefully giving them enough play time before they get it to learn that it is horribly dangerous.

It already is a skill, and its skill description also contains the warning. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby poltifar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:21 pm

And can we get any 'sneak-peaks' or any kind of info about the new mining/prospecting system? I'm curious to see which way you're going with it.
poltifar

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:26 pm

poltifar wrote:And can we get any 'sneak-peaks' or any kind of info about the new mining/prospecting system? I'm curious to see which way you're going with it.

Actually, that's one of the things that yet remain, so I can't really say anything more than previously, since there isn't anymore than previously. :)
loftar

Postby AnonWat » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Aye one thing.
If we can work it in there somewhere.
A quality (1)(2)(3) rating might be good for the game.
You never know if there are people with computers that are not "up to date" and play this game.

Other than that, I love the map, I have no rejections to it, great job.
AnonWat

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Laremere wrote:Con and maybe Agi I would say. Strength doesn't matter as much as endurance. Not to forget that strength has enough uses right now, while con only helps with health (just like strength, though it has twice the effect of strength.)

I've gotta agree with you there. Look at Mr. Phelps; while I'm sure he's stronger than the average human, his real great attribute is definitely constitution. And, his great stamina is what makes him a great swimmer. He certainly a better swimmer than a professional wrestler or other, stronger men.

The only person I can think of who really uses his (or her) strength to swim is Chuck Norris, but that's because he isn't so much swimming as he is simply beating the water into submission.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Jfloyd » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

I was wondering about mountain areas (since I'll be living in one), will fir trees be at home there? Also, can we have snow covered trees, just for looks?
Maybe after a house has been built, it gets snow on it. Maybe after a day the graphic changes.
Also, what will come with wolves? Pelts? teeth? Special meats/suasgaes? Deer should also be found in mountains too :3
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

Postby Machenoid » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Please make every structure in the game be capable of decaying before this map update, and forests capable of regrowing on their own. It is sad to see so many forest tile areas without trees, and long-since abandoned cabins lining the entire nearby area. I hate to compare this awsome game to that crapfest wurm online, but it should be entirely possible for nature to 'wipe' the players' successes from existence if given enough time like it can in that game.

It's also good to hear that swimming will be deadly as all hell, but it'd be even better if a players' equipment influenced it, so that players who wear only normal clothing will swim much farther then players who wear plate armor.

Also, SQUEEEEE at the eventual "bridges and boats" update.
The Dwarf is making a plaintive gesture. He doesn't really care about anything any more.
Machenoid

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Machenoid wrote:It's also good to hear that swimming will be deadly as all hell, but it'd be even better if a players' equipment influenced it, so that players who wear only normal clothing will swim much farther then players who wear plate armor.

Oh, don't worry, that's coming. We've got all the infrastructure in place for item weights, we just aren't using it for anything yet. :)
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements