Game Development: Circle the Wagons!

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Circle the Wagons!

Postby juhubert » Sun May 09, 2010 1:31 am

tbh, i´m not overly convinced about that update. there are too many questions open.

a soak of 15 is for many people just a minor slowdown. so all your belongings will drop on the ground and be gone in no time.

the setting up of a personal claim every time i stop, c´mon. just a bad joke. if your client crashes all your belongings are gone.

i say all your belonginhs, since you either want to set up spme sort of wayfaring folk or have this as a first step to remove teleporting.if that is the case, you better think about some real alternative to it first. fast travel with wagons and such, because otherwise global trade or exploration will be destroyed forever.

no one will slow travel for hours and days with all his belongings only to have a client crash and when logging on the next time seeing all his stuff gone. same is for theft options on wagons, no one will transport huge amounts of stuff through the world, if the risk to loose all is here.

there are many more things to be considered, i´m just too tired to bring them all up.
Wanderer through worlds and ages
juhubert

Postby loftar » Sun May 09, 2010 1:33 am

juhubert wrote:if your client crashes all your belongings are gone.

... Are they? I could see that you have a point if the server crashes, but I don't quite see why a client crash would be a problem.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby HulkingUnicorn » Sun May 09, 2010 1:39 am

loftar wrote:
Zangze wrote:How about making small "ford" areas in rivers randomly which are shallow all the way across.

Well, the maps are already generated, so there isn't a whole lot to do about them at this point. It would be nice if that were a feature from the next map generator, however.

How about if we could do some basic terraforming on rivers and create such fords ourselves?
Adventure->Landscaping->Make ford *poof* we get a construction sign on the bank. Say, 10 000 rocks?
Alternatively 500 boulders ;)
HulkingUnicorn

Postby Wessexstock » Sun May 09, 2010 1:46 am

HulkingUnicorn wrote:How about if we could do some basic terraforming on rivers and create such fords ourselves?
Adventure->Landscaping->Make ford *poof* we get a construction sign on the bank. Say, 10 000 rocks?

Love it. Do it.
:mrgreen:
Wessexstock

Postby Avu » Sun May 09, 2010 1:47 am

4 weeks to get this crap? Where is the village update and combat remake? You promised those ever since you reset the map.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby spectacle » Sun May 09, 2010 1:48 am

loftar wrote:
juhubert wrote:if your client crashes all your belongings are gone.

... Are they? I could see that you have a point if the server crashes, but I don't quite see why a client crash would be a problem.

Client crashes while you're driving; wagon is left abandoned on the road, free to take for any random passerby.
Once a man has changed the relationship between himself and his environment, he cannot return to the blissful ignorance he left. Motion, of necessity, involves a change in perspective.
-Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A Social History of Planet"
spectacle

Postby springyb » Sun May 09, 2010 1:51 am

HulkingUnicorn wrote:
loftar wrote:
Zangze wrote:How about making small "ford" areas in rivers randomly which are shallow all the way across.

Well, the maps are already generated, so there isn't a whole lot to do about them at this point. It would be nice if that were a feature from the next map generator, however.

How about if we could do some basic terraforming on rivers and create such fords ourselves?

How about a bridge instead?
springyb

Postby loftar » Sun May 09, 2010 1:58 am

Avu wrote:4 weeks to get this crap? Where is the village update and combat remake? You promised those ever since you reset the map.

Oh, this isn't what's taken up the last three weeks.

spectacle wrote:Client crashes while you're driving; wagon is left abandoned on the road, free to take for any random passerby.

This should not be a problem. In all the testing I've done, I've always been able to log right back into the wagon.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Wessexstock » Sun May 09, 2010 2:00 am

loftar wrote:Oh, this isn't what's taken up the last three weeks.

Spill them deets.
Wessexstock

Postby Lothaudus » Sun May 09, 2010 2:01 am

Frogs man? Frogs!? Why we get stuck on frogs?

Also, your default client is still small and shitty. :(
Barry Fletcher Norwin
Lawspeaker of Crossroads - Leader of Codexia - Keeper of the Cheese
http://www.rpgcodex.net
Lothaudus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements