Dev diary: Ritual, Skills, Wyrd

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Dev Diary: Ritual, Skills, Wyrd

Postby Thijssnl » Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Even worse imo, (gathering) Wyrd sounds boring for the most part.
Thijssnl

Postby greaterwolf » Sat May 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Some may have forgotten (or never known) the hardship of getting to your first village that would be removed by marching. Got invited to join a village a day into the game, I know its not long but it is enough for a new player to get attached to their character. And so began the two hour crawl carrying my boat from where I spawned to where I could fast travel to the village (not that far from it at 10 agi). Along the way there was many an ambush from pigs and even a bear at one point.

All that could easily be removed had I been able to expend Wyrd and march there in 15-20mins without the risk of dying.
greaterwolf

Postby ThirdEmperor » Sat May 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, the Wyrd system is pretty dumb....

The problem is macroing and grinding and all that shit, the LP system works great but being slaughtered by a Melee grind macro every other day sucks.
ThirdEmperor

Postby Elirian » Sat May 22, 2010 9:45 pm

sabinati wrote:the LP system is easily macroed

I know ^^

My point was that this will be even easier to macro, more boring not to, and provide greater rewards for doing so.
Elirian

Postby Aydjile » Mon May 24, 2010 5:28 am

jorb wrote:Image

Seeing a Reflection, Catching a Lady Bug, Threshing song, Weeping with Willows, Dawn Breaking.

hey jorb. judging by your art. you are a decent person. with golden heart. keep it up.
Aydjile

Postby FantasticFox » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 am

If it 'aint broken, don't fix it.
I've never even seen a macroer.

The Wyrd system does introduce a particular level of roleplay, but why not just add these features with LP as the currency instead? It's a system which has a very straightforward, short learning curve. Wyrd is difficult to get your head around.

LP should stay, in my honest opinion.

EDIT: Also this.
Elirian wrote:
sabinati wrote:the LP system is easily macroed

I know ^^

My point was that this will be even easier to macro, more boring not to, and provide greater rewards for doing so.
FantasticFox

Postby Thijssnl » Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 am

FantasticFox wrote:I've never even seen a macroer.

Well, look harder, lol.
No, I havent seen any yet as well, but think about how much tiles there are (81.000.000) and how much players we have (Not more then a few thousand I think).
Thijssnl

Postby FantasticFox » Mon May 24, 2010 3:02 pm

How would a Hermit live alone, when a considerable portion of wyrd rituals are group based.

People enjoy playing alone, thrusting civilisation upon them like this is just wrong.
I can't see many benefits that Wyrd would bring, I think that the LP system is fine as it is.
FantasticFox

Postby Kriegwolf » Mon May 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Well, the rituals are a good idea, but.
Wyrd shouldn't be used for skills. It can as well cheer you up and mood can change your damage points, quality of items, or other stuff. Really, if you're in bad mood, how'd you make stuff as good as you're in good mood?
Kriegwolf

Postby Jackard » Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 am

FantasticFox wrote:If it 'aint broken, don't fix it. I've never even seen a macroer. The Wyrd system does introduce a particular level of roleplay, but why not just add these features with LP as the currency instead? It's a system which has a very straightforward, short learning curve. Wyrd is difficult to get your head around. LP should stay, in my honest opinion.

LP could remain for learning skills, wyrd for rituals/buffs, and skill values either removed or their only progression being the bonuses* provided by equipment/beliefs/buffs.

*but combat skill values should still be removed as combat plays such an important role in the game. every hearthling should be able to fight for his or her life
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements