Your Tax Dollars at Work

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Your Tax Dollars at Work

Postby Zamte » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 am

If you look at my posting history at all you'll realize I'm not a "twat" about anything. This game is largely populated by European players, many of whom do not speak English as their first language. As languages vary, it's entirely possible that the way I took the statement was not how they would have taken it based on paradigms in their native languages. Thus I explained how I read it so you'd see my point of view. If explaining myself after you question how I arrived to make the statement is offensive to you, then I apologize.

As for the money, I can see where you come from, but I also have to play devil's advocate. They've stated they'd like H&H to eventually be commercially viable. They want to make money off of this. I'm sure they'd love if the game took off some day and they could devote themselves to it for a living. It is a game, and we're being allowed to play it for free, yes. However I don't see how that makes it our responsibility to keep it online, or to pay for anything. They will have to pay for things out of pocket, they likely already have, and I'm sure they know and understand that. Any business you try to run, or hobby you try to do, will have investments to be made. Our donations should be made because we appreciate what they do and we want to "pay" them a bit, so to speak, as a thank you. We're not financially responsible though for keeping their project up. They'll have plenty of costs that come up, and it's pretty much unavoidable that if they're really serious about this, they'll have to pay out of pocket for things.
Zamte

Postby bennieboy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Excellent post, this will certainly give people a push to donate more.
bennieboy

Postby nirvanich » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 am

mvgulik wrote:
nirvanich wrote:Try to make a counter with remaining money - it'll be clear for all about financial situation)))

Go dig a hole, jump in, and fill it up again.
Thank you.

@OP
Thanks for the informational update.

Idiot :mrgreen:
nirvanich

Postby Breuner » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 am

Thank you for sharing, this was what i was looking for from you guys. Love the game and hope to see it grow.
Breuner

Postby Thijssnl » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 pm

I'm not the biggest genius around @ technical stuff, but if anything the money should go to making the server crash less.
If its for an update an announcement would be nice (I know there's an ingame message, but I dont know if it crashed now or if its being updated).
Thijssnl

Postby mvgulik » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:44 am

nirvanich wrote:Idiot :mrgreen:

Dig deeper. I can still hear you. :mrgreen:

Thijssnl wrote:I'm not the biggest genius around @ technical stuff, but if anything the money should go to making the server crash less.

I'm not sure. But I think that would mean donating directly to Jorb and loftar in person. Might work.
A possible alternative could be to lower the number of allowed playing user on the server.

General:
Donation spending information is nice (from a donater's point of view of course). But there is also a other side to it. The virtual accountability that seems to be attached to it by those that donate.

+ to Zamte's "devil's advocate" comment.
mvgulik

Postby nirvanich » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 am

mvgulik wrote:

Go and dig a grave for yourself, diggingfan :mrgreen:
nirvanich

Postby Thijssnl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:11 pm

nirvanich wrote:
mvgulik wrote:

Go and dig a grave for yourself, diggingfan :mrgreen:

At least 2 out of 3 of your posts are rubbish now. Shame on you.
Thijssnl

Postby xeross » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Hmm as I've seen no one suggest any dedicated server hosts this let me suggest Kimsufi their KS series dedicated servers aren't too expensive 600-800 euros a year, and for the 3-4 months I've used them before the server worked beautifully.

and for an additional 36 euros a month you get a 1gbps line instead of a 100mbps line, this would considerably cut down the cost compared to the values listed in the original post.
xeross

Postby erozaxx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:57 pm

As Xeross posted, I would also recommend not having own HW and buy hosting as a whole, just try to find one (as e.g. the Kimsufi named above), post here one sticky with the one-year prize needed, and update it as money from us flows. When you have enough for one year just fire it up and reset the income so we know, that for next year we have to donate enough, or you will switch the fast baby off and we will return to the lagg-boar-kills and dead-boats in the river stream.

I will donate as hell to keep the server faster, harder, scooter :)

EDIT:
if the prize is as |Xeross| posted let me do a math:
there are usually 300+ players online
lets round the prize incl 1GB line to 1200 €
1200 € / 300 = 4€

WTF is 4€ today? I would gladly pay this monthly to get the server humming as a Hum-wee baby with Shell-V Power Fuel in the tank.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death may die."

H.P. Lovecraft
erozaxx

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements