Your Tax Dollars at Work

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Your Tax Dollars at Work

Postby murphylawson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Of course there are lazy people, and then there are people like me, who want to donate, but really can't, for various reasons, mine is that I'm 15.
Bigzion wrote:
ForumIdentity wrote:Since cutlery got nerfed, what's a good way to gain LP besides buckets?

Swimming.
murphylawson

Postby saltmummy626 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 am

loftar wrote:
It should be mentioned in this context, however, that I recently managed to figure out a potentially workable method for parallelizing the server so that it can distribute its load over multiple CPUs, and that would also, to a very large extent, take care of the performance problems associated with map-loading. It would be quite some work involved in it, but assuming that I can make it work, I expect the server to be able to scale very well over multiple CPUs. A 4-way SMP system (e.g. a simple computer using a 4-core CPU) would then, I expect, be able to host somewhere between 1500-2000 users; and it should be able to continue scaling rather well with added CPUs.

That reminds me of how some scientists used 16 playstation 3's to figure out how black holes work. back on topic though, good to see the money is going to work. was a little irked by the fact that the announcement wasnt anything to do with an update. but still, it is important to know what that money is going for.

p.s. buy yourselves some pizza. we wont mind.
Want to touch my fibula?
Gulgatha, place of the skull.
saltmummy626

Postby Alamarian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:06 pm

saltmummy626 wrote:That reminds me of how some scientists used 16 playstation 3's to figure out how black holes work.

They used it to simulate a collision between black holes. We really haven't the foggiest idea how black holes work. Like gravity, we can observe the effects but we don't know the "why" behind either force.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd."
Alamarian

Postby Brackwell » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:39 am

There's an easy way to figure out how black holes work. Scientists must find a willing and suicidal person to fly into one.
Love video game music? Tired of being unable to find a site to download them from? Check out KHDownloads!
Brackwell

Postby mvgulik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:37 am

Brackwell wrote:There's an easy way to figure out how black holes work. Scientists must find a willing and suicidal person to fly into one.

Finding a suicidal nut case is never a real problem. Keeping him/her alive until they can actually be dropped into it one might be a bigger problem. (in more ways than one. grin)
---
PS3 Gravity Grid
mvgulik

Postby loftar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:29 pm

mvgulik wrote:Keeping him/her alive until they can actually be dropped into it one might be a bigger problem.

Getting the information back from within the black hole just might be the biggest problem of them all, though. ;)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby exewu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Just wait till it radiates it off? :p
Also for the observer in the black hole it would seem like he never actually gets sucked inside.

edit: radiate is a bad word, picks of hypothetical particles and unbalances them so they get radiated away would be closer to the truth I guess? I'm not a physicist though
exewu

Postby Uriel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:15 pm

mhm, fun topic q; but gravitation of the black hole would destroyed everything to pieces before it could go near it - I may be wrong, but last time I studied about this it was a long time ago.
Uriel

Postby mvgulik » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:34 pm

exewu wrote:Also for the observer in the black hole it would seem like he never actually gets sucked inside.
... I'm not a physicist though

? I think your mixing different points of view.

Uriel wrote:mhm, fun topic q; but gravitation of the black hole would destroyed everything to pieces before it could go near it - I may be wrong, but last time I studied about this it was a long time ago.

Depends on what you classify as being the black hole. The singularity. I would think so. For the Event Horizon, not necessarily.
mvgulik

Postby Alamarian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:12 pm

exewu wrote:Just wait till it radiates it off? :p
Also for the observer in the black hole it would seem like he never actually gets sucked inside.

To the best of my understanding, this is not correct. Time dilation would make the process take a great deal of time for an outside observer but the victim would experience it in "normal" time.

edit: radiate is a bad word, picks of hypothetical particles and unbalances them so they get radiated away would be closer to the truth I guess? I'm not a physicist though

Hawking's Radiation is what you are looking for. If the theory is correct, it would cause black holes to lose quantum information, thus losing mass, and eventually disappear. This is called "black hole evaporation." A fairly non-fancy term for a usually tongue-twisting field. Of course, the expected rate of loss means a fairly small black hole will last longer than the current age of the universe. And then some. Then some more. Plus extra. And another little bit.
"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd."
Alamarian

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements