Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:55 am

I just made some slight changes to some parameters in the game right now; they are mainly aimed at slowing down the altpocalypse we're seeing right now.

First of all, the walls were made a lot tougher: I doubled their damage soak value (aka armor) and quintupled their health. The brickwall was also made quite a bit more expensive [but don't worry, it'll be worth it ;)], and the palisade was made a tiny bit more expensive. They need to be repaired to reach their new maximum health level, though.

Second, I made the black skills an order of magnitude more expensive. This one is just a placeholder until we get some real system for making the acquisition of skills harder, but at least it should be a little less trivial to create new throw-away alts for thieving. It might, on the other hand, just be an invitation for macroing. Again, it's just a place-holder.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Postby Rugs » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:56 am

Great job you just made thieving absolutely worthless.

You should not have done this without fixing tracking first.
Rugs

Postby Hamel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 am

Erh, interesting. It seems that the current HP of walls remained the same, while the max was raised, so all of our walls are damaged.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Colbear » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 am

Numbers: Brick now has a soak of 20 and has 5000 health. That means you need at least 200 strength and a pickaxe, and a bear cape, to do three damage per hit to it. It would take one person with 200 strength almost a half-hour to break a brick wall, assuming the attack rate is one attack per second.
Last edited by Colbear on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colbear

Postby Rugs » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:02 am

Haven & Hearth: A European, rather than Korean Grindfest!
Rugs

Postby loftar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:03 am

@Rugs: You certainly have a point, but as far as I could tell, settlements were currently being completely looted and raided without the raiders having to fear repurcussions at all, which makes it nigh impossible for non-thieves to play. We have found out, already, that it's easier to be "on the safe side" and then punch holes for the thieves. Furthermore, these changes were easier to implement than a new tracking system, and could thus be made in the short time I'm home before I have to go away again. It seemed kind of urgent.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jackard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:09 am

Are palisades fixed yet?
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby Raephire » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:40 am

Shit guys, Tubai came by..

What makes you say that?
Raephire

Postby Fools » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:23 am

I hope this is only temporary, because raising the bar to standards that encourages more grinding will eventually discourage wider adoption by non-grindy players. As rule, I'd steer clear of making things tougher for the route of making things different. Walls and skills alike, there's a cost of opportunity here that can easily grow to something that the social aspect of the game can't compensate for.
Fools

Postby Rift » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:46 am

i guess the point is to make it signifcantly harder to make walls that are signficantly harder to break?
Rift

Next

Return to Announcements