Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:34 pm

That way lies nothing but further alt abuse.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Delamore » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Potjeh wrote:That way lies nothing but further alt abuse.

Right now you are claiming anything as alts, seriously if I use a character not my main to bash down bricks at their current strength you'd still be bitching about alts.
Fuck I could make a character stronger and more used than my more known character and you guys would bitch about fucking alts.
Delamore

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm offended by that portrayal of me, as I'm not one of the people that are bitching 24/7 about alt abuse (I am guilty of bitching about it every now and then, though). I'm just pointing out that requiring groups of players for certain activities accomplishes nothing, as such obstacles can easily be circumvented with an alt horde.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Delamore » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Potjeh wrote:I'm offended by that portrayal of me, as I'm not one of the people that are bitching 24/7 about alt abuse (I am guilty of bitching about it every now and then, though). I'm just pointing out that requiring groups of players for certain activities accomplishes nothing, as such obstacles can easily be circumvented with an alt horde.

And requiring more stats means nothing either, this from Bay12:
There is now enough beer missing to support a small army of palisade knockers.
Delamore

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Yeah, it's not an optimal solution either, but at least gaining stats takes a bit of time (not much if you keep your stamina drained). I'm assuming that these siege weapons could be operated by relatively new characters (it'd be just plain annoying to gather enough people otherwise), which would mean you could knock down walls almost immediately. So yeah, both solutions are sub-par. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not a dev now ;)
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Jackard » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Tying the purchase (but not necessarily use) of a skill to a max belief might have been a better temporary solution than multiplying the LP cost by 100. Say for example, Theft line to Barbarism and Murder line to Death.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
Jackard

Postby jorb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:44 pm

I am not entirely convinced by the stronger walls myself. One main reason for this is that when we make things harder to destroy, that also affects people with "legitimate" (non criminal) reasons for wanting to destroy a wall. I also do not think that "alts" are really the problem. I've said elsewhere that for the concept of "alt" to be meaningful in the way that it's now being tossed around, the "alt" has to be a throwaway character with relatively little initial investment required. A character with stats in the hundreds and several expensive black skills does, in my opinion, not qualify as an "alt" in this sense. People having multiple developed characters is of course something I would like to encourage, rather than punish.

I think there has to be a solution that prevents offline stashing in "altvaults".

Thieves have to have their names protected, so as to avoid being outed as thieves in the forums the instant they do something wrong.

Scents need to decay.

The ranging sonar needs to be less exact than it is now.

It should not be possible to "reroll" finding a thief scent by entering and exiting an area repeatedly.

It should be possible to pick locks.

... and a whole lot more, probably.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby kobnach » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:40 am

Jackard wrote:Tying the purchase (but not necessarily use) of a skill to a max belief might have been a better temporary solution than multiplying the LP cost by 100. Say for example, Theft line to Barbarism and Murder line to Death.

There's a trivial exploit which will let you get beliefs of a new character to any level you want in a few minutes of playing time.
kobnach

Postby Malicus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:03 am

kobnach wrote:
Jackard wrote:Tying the purchase (but not necessarily use) of a skill to a max belief might have been a better temporary solution than multiplying the LP cost by 100. Say for example, Theft line to Barbarism and Murder line to Death.

There's a trivial exploit which will let you get beliefs of a new character to any level you want in a few minutes of playing time.

I hope that you had reported this exploit to the devs long before even mentioning that it exists at all to everyone else.
Malicus

Postby niltrias » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 am

Its been posted before, in detail, previously on the forums. Kob isnt giving anything away.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements