Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Slight update: Altpocalypse slowdown

Postby poltifar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Exactly what I thought. Thieves' job shouldnt be 'balanced'. Its the exception, not the norm, and as such, should have extremely high risks, although with great rewards if the thief is lucky enough to not lose to the risk.
poltifar

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Stop over reacting. Both sides. Yes we are much safer now. No it's not going to stay like this.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby jorb » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:38 pm

Adding to this is obviously the fact that while an honest farmer has to build a palisade, not a fence, mind you, around his claim, an honest thief just has to break down one segment of said palisade to be inside the compound.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Spiff » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm

jorb wrote:an honest thief just has to break down one segment of said palisade to be inside the compound.

Except that there's a total of about three people in the game strong enough to break down one segment of said palisade.
Spiff

Postby Hamel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Spiff wrote:
jorb wrote:an honest thief just has to break down one segment of said palisade to be inside the compound.

Except that there's a total of about three people in the game strong enough to break down one segment of said palisade.

A good deal more than that, myself included. Remember, temporary. :roll:
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Vattic » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Spiff wrote:Except that there's a total of about three people in the game strong enough to break down one segment of said palisade.

Stone wall maybe but palisade? They only require 50 str and a pickaxe and I'd bet there were more people with stats like that than the few who report their 200+ str on the forum. There are a lot of people who play who don't even post here at all. Palisades shouldn't be trivial after such a short time playing in my opinion but now we need a way for a high stat thief to get away with it stats intact. Then again that's completely possible with full tradition and alt vaults even now.
Vattic

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:08 pm

You can get 50str in about two days worth of playing.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby kobnach » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Vattic wrote:
Spiff wrote:Except that there's a total of about three people in the game strong enough to break down one segment of said palisade.

Stone wall maybe but palisade? They only require 50 str and a pickaxe and I'd bet there were more people with stats like that than the few who report their 200+ str on the forum. There are a lot of people who play who don't even post here at all. Palisades shouldn't be trivial after such a short time playing in my opinion but now we need a way for a high stat thief to get away with it stats intact. Then again that's completely possible with full tradition and alt vaults even now.

Before the update, breaking paliasades was not only possible for me - it was trivial. I chopped the hole for my village's gate in very little time - and immediately got worried enough to begin encouraging them to start making bricks. I'm sure there were plenty of others having the same experience, judging by the number of settlements having both palisades and brick walls.
kobnach

Postby sami1337 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Vattic wrote:

Not to mention how easy it is to raise your str with cheese and beer.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Delamore » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Raising how much it takes to break down palisades isn't the problem, rather you need to find out a way to make palisade destruction a cordinated event by multiple people.
For example a person can only deal X damage per second to a wall, so multiple players are required to get it to a reasonable level.
Or siege tools that require multiple players to operate such as a battering ram.
Delamore

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements