Mini-update: Ironworking qualities

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Mini-update: Ironworking qualities

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:16 am

To remedy the common, and understandable, complaints about Temp-Q in steel-making, I've made the following changes to ironworking and steelmaking:
  • Temp-Q is completely removed.
  • The quality of the coal used in the steel crucibles counts (it not counting previously was just an oversight anyway).
  • In the processing of cast->(bloom/slag) and wrought->steel, quality only goes down, not up. If the result "should" go up in quality as a consequence of the equipment/fuel/coal all being of higher quality, it simply remains at the quality it had before being processed.
  • In the processing of bloom->wrought, there is a 40% chance of the quality being lowered, and a 10% chance of the quality actually being improved.

These changes will be in effect after the next server restart (and given the current frequency of memory allocation failures, I count on that not being too long :P).

For the record: The reason I wanted to try the Temp-Q mechanic in the first place was because I wanted it to be so that maximum-quality steel was a very rare thing, but that, with extra work, one could always improve the quality of one's steel. Of course, it was, on the other hand, a bad mechanic in that it encouraged grinding and macroing.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Mini-update: Ironworking qualities

Postby DatOneGuy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:55 am

I understand the change, but isn't it just too easy now?

Guess I'll try making a batch of steel soon but it seems that if you can't increase the quality of it (except in bloom stage) wasting good bricks/cast on forges and such is more of a drag because you can't see better results. :(

Edit: While this seems cool and all this also seems that steel will always be the same quality as your cast iron if you get lucky on that 10%, 'higher quality', in which case, does this mean there's a 10% chance of it being raised the way wrought used to be? (By hammer), or that it increases by some preset amount?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hi. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
DatOneGuy

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:57 am

DatOneGuy wrote:[...]if you can't increase the quality of it (except in bloom stage) wasting good bricks/cast on forges and such is more of a drag because you can't see better results. :(

Rather, you need good bricks/cast to preserve the quality that you initially got when smelting the ore.
loftar

Postby Oddity » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:57 am

DatOneGuy wrote:Edit: While this seems cool and all this also seems that steel will always be the same quality as your cast iron if you get lucky on that 10%, 'higher quality', in which case, does this mean there's a 10% chance of it being raised the way wrought used to be? (By hammer), or that it increases by some preset amount?

I concur. Sad face :(
Oddity

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 am

DatOneGuy wrote:does this mean there's a 10% chance of it being raised the way wrought used to be? (By hammer), or that it increases by some preset amount?

Ah, sorry about that; it means a chance of a fixed (well, in terms of percentage of the original quality) decrease or increase in quality.
loftar

Postby Loner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 am

Yay for a new update again finally,
So, was this mini-update the big project you've been working on a lot lately? :P
Anyway, I miss the stuff updates :|
Loner

Postby Potjeh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:02 am

Can it gain quality even if it reverts to cast?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Thijssnl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:02 am

I must admit I do not understand all of this really well. I'm not a steel-making person anyway.
Thijssnl

Postby loftar » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 am

Potjeh wrote:Can it gain quality even if it reverts to cast?

Yup.
loftar

Postby Tacheron » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 am

Is this a "fix" so we can actually do decent q steel without fearing the crashes? :P

But seriously - I'm just glad we got something new to play around with.
This is not a test of power
This is not a game to be lost or won
Let justice be done
Tacheron

Next

Return to Announcements