Game Development: Nothing Major

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Nothing Major

Postby Ferinex » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:07 am

Potjeh wrote:It was yellow onions, and we'll be happy to trade seeds when we get our own farms going.

They give black FEP anyway. I'd say they are pretty useless right now.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:15 am

Maybe these Onions should subtract from stored FEP for charisma, but add to wisdom or intelligence.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Vanigo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:49 am

Regarding the other new plant: Ooh, is that cotton?
Vanigo

Postby kobnach » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:57 am

Erik_the_Blue wrote:You're describing the tragedy of the commons. Three solutions: 1. Privatize the resource(s); 2. make everyone become concerned for their individual long-term interests; 3. move to an area with a lower population density. The infinite map should make (3) more viable (and delay/subvert the tragedy), but (1) and (2) are generally superior in the long-term.

Yes, I know. We've been using that term within our village for a while, as we regretfully palisade and/or claim things we'd like to be sharing

I don't see (1) working well, except for the individuals who become the owners. The folks displaced by the enclosures generally suffered. In H&H context, that will be folks joining after all decent resources are locked away in claims, surrounded by brick walls.
kobnach

Postby Erik_the_Blue » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 am

kobnach wrote:I don't see (1) working well, except for the individuals who become the owners. The folks displaced by the enclosures generally suffered. In H&H context, that will be folks joining after all decent resources are locked away in claims, surrounded by brick walls.

If there's a way for the outsiders to gain those resources in an indirect manner, then locking those resources away isn't itself a problem. Thievery is one response. Trading goods for labor is another. Some owners may choose to be benevolent for whatever reason. Capitalsim, fascism, etc. should all be possible (maybe not practical) the way the game is now. If the outsiders find they don't like a village operating under such a system, it would be relatively easy for them (compared to real life) to move to another village with a different system.
Erik_the_Blue

Postby eql » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am

hurray for 4 chan
eql

Postby Ferinex » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:54 am

eql wrote:hurray for 4 chan

Not sure what's with the sudden surge of '4chan' name drops. I haven't been on IRC for a bit, so could someone explain? If a thread were posted on /b/ about Haven, I imagine it would be ignored or 'nypa'd. Was there a thread on the video game board?
Ferinex

Postby Vanigo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:38 am

Oh, the other new plant is poppies, not cotton. Yay, we have another decorative flower!
Vanigo

Postby EveryTimeV » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:59 am

Ferinex wrote:
eql wrote:hurray for 4 chan

Not sure what's with the sudden surge of '4chan' name drops. I haven't been on IRC for a bit, so could someone explain? If a thread were posted on /b/ about Haven, I imagine it would be ignored or 'nypa'd. Was there a thread on the video game board?

This game has become /v/'s Flavour of the month, and it is well deserved from what I can see. From this alone you can expect a very large amount of users to take interest in the game, and you can also expect a very large amount of them being hooligans in the future too.

It's for the better, if it was a "raid" (Also known as about the most unfunny thing on Earth now) you'd probably have a blocked entrance by way of mass swastika spam.

Enjoy it, in the future when the village is complete you may find that /v/ Has made an empire. (They've certainly got a LOT of manpower behind it right now).
I will steal all of the RuneStones in the land, if your stone has gone missing in the night then I'm already hauling it.
EveryTimeV

Postby Ferinex » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:12 am

EveryTimeV wrote:From this alone you can expect a very large amount of users to take interest in the game, and you can also expect a very large amount of them being hooligans in the future too.

It's for the better, if it was a "raid" (Also known as about the most unfunny thing on Earth now) you'd probably have a blocked entrance by way of mass swastika spam.

Enjoy it, in the future when the village is complete you may find that /v/ Has made an empire. (They've certainly got a LOT of manpower behind it right now).

Arrogance is funny.
Ferinex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements