Policy Change: Open Source Code

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Policy Change: Open Source Code

Postby Onionfighter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 am

Sorry for the necro-post, but has anything come of this?
Cheerleader
Onionfighter

Postby kobnach » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:15 am

Onionfighter wrote:Sorry for the necro-post, but has anything come of this?

What's wrong with reviving old threads? It rather beats starting yet another new thread on a topic best considered a FAQ (not that this one is).

My attempts have stalled; my development box can't handle the client adequately, and I don't feel I have the knowledge to debug the performance issues. I could do client experiments on windows vista, but that adds a level of inconvenience, so I started a different programming project instead.

I don't know about any of the other folks playing with the client code.
kobnach

Postby theTrav » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:33 am

kobnach wrote:I don't know about any of the other folks playing with the client code.

I got the source, threw it in eclipse and have gone through the initial authentication and session connection code a few times before selling my laptop, buying a new desktop, and fixing the PSU.

Then I saw steam had a $30 deal for a TON of really good indie games, so I've been distracted with that for the last couple of days.

I still have plans, and I'll execute them eventually, but no start as of yet.

As an aside, when I do start it's unlikely I'll have anything good for at least a week or two
theTrav

Postby Atheuz » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm

kobnach wrote:I don't know about any of the other folks playing with the client code.

I had, and it's impossible to make any major changes without atleast access to the server or a proper documentation.
I've made some 10 minute changes that consist of removing the update function (I don't need the fancy avatars, and it makes the game run smooth in a big party which's trying to organize), dumping the minimap png's, increasing the fov & resolution in relation with the other UI elements and preloading all the sprites. I also did some non-legit changes to the gamemechanics, but im not using that.

Embedding an IRC chat would be the only thing for me left to do, although I'm not sure if I should just do this inside the client code or make an opengl wrapper.
Atheuz

Postby theTrav » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 am

Atheuz wrote:I had, and it's impossible to make any major changes without atleast access to the server or a proper documentation.

How impossible? What specifically are you having the most trouble with?

Atheuz wrote:I've made some 10 minute changes that consist of removing the update function (I don't need the fancy avatars, and it makes the game run smooth in a big party which's trying to organize), dumping the minimap png's, increasing the fov & resolution in relation with the other UI elements and preloading all the sprites.

have you pmed your changes to loftar in a patch or put it on a public repo anywhere so we can all benefit from your work? I'm interested in seeing what you've done if you don't mind putting it up somewhere.
theTrav

Previous

Return to Announcements