Policy Change: Open Source Code

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Policy Change: Open Source Code

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:13 pm

That's really terrifying. As soon as the client goes open-source, all the hackers and crackers will jump-in doubletime. I suspect that within a month, we'll get a command line program you can run that'll macro your character to 10000 levels in each skill and all non-leveled skills overnight.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Distract » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Peter wrote:That's really terrifying. As soon as the client goes open-source, all the hackers and crackers will jump-in doubletime. I suspect that within a month, we'll get a command line program you can run that'll macro your character to 10000 levels in each skill and all non-leveled skills overnight.

I suspect you don't know what you're talking about and/or is extremely stupid.
Distract

Postby Delamore » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Peter wrote:That's really terrifying. As soon as the client goes open-source, all the hackers and crackers will jump-in doubletime. I suspect that within a month, we'll get a command line program you can run that'll macro your character to 10000 levels in each skill and all non-leveled skills overnight.

Hahaha you are so stupid it is hard to even laugh.
Delamore

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 pm

I don't think you have to worry too much about that, though. I'm pretty sure that almost anything which could have been done with the client source code could have already been made with macros. If that isn't the case, well, then I'll just have something to remedy. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby kimya » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 pm

loftar wrote:
kimya wrote:im totally looking forward to a lot of interesting and practical changes in the ui :)

Are you implying that there are aspects of the UI which are somehow... suboptimal? :)

NO! 8-)
kimya

Postby Delamore » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Loftar, check your PMs
Delamore

Postby ape » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I tried to email loftar a patch to run the game window at any resolution, but gmail is giving me some bullshit error.
Code: Select all
"Recipient error [We weren't able to find the recipient domain. Please check for any spelling errors, and make sure you didn't enter any spaces, periods, or other punctuation after the recipient's email address.]".

Guess I'll try PMing it instead.
ape

Postby loftar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Delamore wrote:Loftar, check your PMs

Yes, I have seen your PM, but I am, simply, too busy elsewhere at the moment to dedicate myself. I'll have to check back later.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Peter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Distract wrote:...

Thank you for the lovingly-crafted example of irony.
Anyway, we'll see who's right in a few weeks- or even a few hours. I've seen this happen before. Perhaps a lot of the game components are server-side, but anything that can be hacked will be. At the very least, the dark/light mask will be removed pretty much immediately. I'm sure someone's done that already.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby ape » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Peter wrote:
Distract wrote:...

Thank you for the lovingly-crafted example of irony.
Anyway, we'll see who's right in a few weeks- or even a few hours. I've seen this happen before. Perhaps a lot of the game components are server-side, but anything that can be hacked will be. At the very least, the dark/light mask will be removed pretty much immediately. I'm sure someone's done that already.

He's right, you pretty much don't know what you're talking about :P .
The game client is written in java and as such you can easily decompile the entire thing and recompile any changes you want, even without the original source code. The only way to stop that is obfuscation, which only slows hackers down; you can't fully prevent it. This is why the client is designed as just a dumb terminal as loftar has stated.
The only thing releasing the source does is make it possible for useful changes to be submitted by anyone who so chooses, which is a good thing.
ape

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements