Planned downtime: Moving to a new server

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Planned downtime: Moving to a new server

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:54 am

New status update: I've encountered a li'l problem. The filesystem on the server came pre-formatted with ext3, and it turns out that ext3 doesn't support more than 32000 directory links, which prevents me from copying all the accounts.

Currently, I'm looking for a way to detach one of the mirrors from the MD RAID array, reformat the detached mirror with XFS and then use it solely for game data. While I'd lose the redundancy, it would have the advantage of keeping the game data on a dedicated disk, so I don't really mind it horribly much.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Irish_Pride » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 am

loftar wrote:New status update: I've encountered a li'l problem. The filesystem on the server came pre-formatted with ext3, and it turns out that ext3 doesn't support more than 32000 directory links, which prevents me from copying all the accounts.

Currently, I'm looking for a way to detach one of the mirrors from the MD RAID array, reformat the detached mirror with XFS and then use it solely for game data. While I'd lose the redundancy, it would have the advantage of keeping the game data on a dedicated disk, so I don't really mind it horribly much.

So.... new world or not.
Lol why u mad tho?
Irish_Pride

Postby Oddity » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 am

Do you think it will be fixed before you go off to sleep? I know it's pretty late in Sweden, or maybe early :p
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby rozn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 am

Irish_Pride wrote:
loftar wrote:New status update: I've encountered a li'l problem. The filesystem on the server came pre-formatted with ext3, and it turns out that ext3 doesn't support more than 32000 directory links, which prevents me from copying all the accounts.

So.... new world or not.

Please oh please make a new world it would make it easier on yourself and be way more fun!
Certainly, in taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior; for it is a prince’s part to pardon. - A wise friend.
rozn

Postby shadowchris » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:13 am

Irish_Pride wrote:

So.... new world or not.

You are so stupid...
If there was to be a wipe... I'm going to go raid like no tomorrow XD
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby rozn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:14 am

shadowchris wrote:
Irish_Pride wrote:

So.... new world or not.

You are so stupid...
If there was to be a wipe... I'm going to go raid like no tomorrow XD

It's quite possible there could be a whipe
Certainly, in taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy; but in passing it over, he is superior; for it is a prince’s part to pardon. - A wise friend.
rozn

Postby shadowchris » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:16 am

Let's not provoke it >_>.
W8 HLTU W9 Tartarus,Alfheimer,Niflheim W10 RiP, Dis
shadowchris

Postby loftar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 am

rozn wrote:a new world it would make it easier on yourself

That's not actually true, though. The problem at hand is related to the user accounts, and even if I were to wipe the world (which I'm not), I wouldn't remove the user accounts.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby rozn » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 am

shadowchris wrote:Let's not provoke it >_>.

Please oh please make a new world it would make it easier on yourself and be way more fun!

I kind of want to provoke it.
rozn

Postby Sarchi » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 am

I don't quite understand why some people are so enthusiastic about world 4 coming prematurely. The major changes that are necessary before a wipe can occur are nowhere near ready (map gen, LP replacement), so it'll only end up with the current conditions that we already have. Except that you'll just have to rebuild.
Sarchi

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements