Game Development: Salem & Haven

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Salem & Haven

Postby burgingham » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:28 pm

You saw that screenshot, yeah?
burgingham

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Oh lighten up. It's not as if there is some intrinsic reason why the game couldn't become sweet. It'll just take some work, is all.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby cobaltjones » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:13 pm

jorb wrote:Oh lighten up. It's not as if there is some intrinsic reason why the game couldn't become sweet. It'll just take some work, is all.

Same could be said of literally everything.

Good luck with that though, I mean if it's still steaming pile of shit after 3 years, it'll definitely turn the corner in year 4.
cobaltjones

Postby sabinati » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm

jordancoles wrote:Image

numbers are that low because ender's needed to be updated... people really hate default camera
sabinati

Postby burgingham » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

jorb wrote:Oh lighten up. It's not as if there is some intrinsic reason why the game couldn't become sweet. It'll just take some work, is all.

Not questioning the quality of the game here, but rather how much development it will get when the playernumbers are literally single-digits.
burgingham

Postby painhertz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 pm

It's dead Jim. It's dead. :(
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 pm

cobaltjones wrote:Good luck with that though, I mean if it's still steaming pile of shit after 3 years, it'll definitely turn the corner in year 4.

What can I do, except keep on trying? As long as we feel we have ideas and enjoy doing it, why give up?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby painhertz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:57 pm

jorb wrote:
cobaltjones wrote:Good luck with that though, I mean if it's still steaming pile of shit after 3 years, it'll definitely turn the corner in year 4.

What can I do, except keep on trying? As long as we feel we have ideas and enjoy doing it, why give up?

Question: Was it Paradox's influence that kept the game from becoming the dark, cthuluesque supernatural game you guys originally advertised? what happened to Witchcraft? Creatures of the Lumberwoods? Why did it go from that "very cool" dynamic to the shitty Colonial Cmerica simulator it is?
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby ArvinJA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm

The low life has lost its appeal
And I'm tired of walking these streets
To a room with its cupboards bare
ArvinJA

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm

painhertz wrote:Question: Was it Paradox's influence that kept the game from becoming the dark, cthuluesque supernatural game you guys originally advertised? what happened to Witchcraft? Creatures of the Lumberwoods? Why did it go from that "very cool" dynamic to the shitty Colonial Cmerica simulator it is?

Answer: We had -- and have -- a wonderful relationship with Paradox. They have always given us a lot of free space to work in, and they have never pushed us in any particular direction beyond minding their own immediate and reasonable business concerns. To the extent that the theme of the game has failed to live up to expectations or whatnot that is (almost) entirely due to us, and our priorities. Sure, there have been times when we have disagreed on priorities or whatever, but by and large we've always made decisions together, and in a mutually respectful fashion.

If anything we ourselves -- or the very nature of the situation -- put some uncomfortable constraints on how we could or could not work, but I couldn't at all be happier about the deal we have now.

Paradox is a great company with great people working for it. I am sometimes sad to see that they get a bit of a bad rep in these communities, as I don't think they deserve that, and I cannot recommend them enough.

Go play EU4. I hear its great. :)

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements