Game Development: Salem & Haven

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Salem & Haven

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:09 pm

"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby painhertz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:11 pm

jorb wrote:
painhertz wrote:Question: Was it Paradox's influence that kept the game from becoming the dark, cthuluesque supernatural game you guys originally advertised? what happened to Witchcraft? Creatures of the Lumberwoods? Why did it go from that "very cool" dynamic to the shitty Colonial Cmerica simulator it is?

Answer: We had -- and have -- a wonderful relationship with Paradox. They have always given us a lot of free space to work in, and they have never pushed us in any particular direction beyond minding their own immediate and reasonable business concerns. To the extent that the theme of the game has failed to live up to expectations or whatnot that is (almost) entirely due to us, and our priorities. Sure, there have been times when we have disagreed on priorities or whatever, but by and large we've always made decisions together, and in a mutually respectful fashion.

If anything we ourselves -- or the very nature of the situation -- put some uncomfortable constraints on how we could or could not work, but I couldn't at all be happier about the deal we have now.

Paradox is a great company with great people working for it. I am sometimes sad to see that they get a bit of a bad rep in these communities, as I don't think they deserve that, and I cannot recommend them enough.

No doubt, i play and love quite a number of Paradox games, but I still have no answer as to where Witchcraft and all the other cool shit went....lol

Go play EU4. I hear its great. :)

Weird, my post didn;t get added. I hear you, I play and love quite a few Paradox games but the main thrust of my question was more "where the hell did Witchcraft and all the cool supernatural shit that was supposed to be in Salem go?" lol
Last edited by painhertz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby jorb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:15 pm

painhertz wrote:No doubt, i play and love quite a number of Paradox games, but I still have no answer as to where Witchcraft and all the other cool shit went....lol

The bottom line is that we never quite found the time to give them proper love or thought, as we did work in a more... intense... fashion than we normally do. We didn't want to implement them in some terrible way just to be done with it, and I'm glad we didn't. :)
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby painhertz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Well, hopefully they get done some day either in Salem or maybe in modified fashion in Haven. I will be a sad panda until i get Witchcraft SOMEWHERE! lol
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 pm

painhertz wrote:Well, hopefully they get done some day either in Salem or maybe in modified fashion in Haven. I will be a sad panda until i get Witchcraft SOMEWHERE! lol
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Nummy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 am

Did you got paid for development of Salem? If not, how do you live? By air? If yes, how much did paradox paid you for that game?
Nummy

Postby burgingham » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 am

Of course they got paid for it, what a silly question. And to ask people for their salary on a forum is even more silly...
burgingham

Postby Potjeh » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:31 am

Salem doesn't actually need that much updating to be able to sustain a healthy population. Just some small tweaks that would reward socialization over playing a crazed axe murderer.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby burgingham » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:35 am

I am not sure that is true. HnH maintained several hundred players with no development in 2 years and lag that made it basically impossible to play.

Salem is down to 5 players a week after Paradox announces they are out...
burgingham

Postby Oddity » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 am

jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements