Announcement: Map Preview

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Announcement: Map Preview

Postby ShadowAtlan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Alright anyway, Here's my take on the Swimming thing.

Entering Dark water, (drownable water) would take the skill "Swimming" to do, otherwise the water acts as a barrier. This is because even the dumbest of people don't -usually- wander into deep, drownable water without any sort of swimming knowledge aforehand. And if they did, humanity probably wouldn't miss them much.
Swimming would be a skill you can get After researching fishing, making dangerous water-travel something out of reach for fresh little newbies, because I like the look of beaches littered with the bodies of a thousand slain nabs as much as the next guy, but I'd rather not hear their complaints choking up the forum.

Swimming wouldn't be an all or nothing skill, Jorb and the rest of 'em have already said that. But I don't think it should take Strength to accomplish, after all, muscle sinks. Also said earlier, Con and Agi would be good to base swimming potential off of, gives them a use and makes Str less, no pun intended, Overpowered.
Stopping while swimming wouldn't be a bad idea, we just assume that when whatever god or gods magically popped the knowledge of how to swim into your head, also told you how to tread water too. Or maybe that could be another skill.... Or an item. I see an opportunity for some Zora flippers. Maybe crafted from Crocodiles?

Crocodiles are always a nice touch, since after all, I needed a new pair of boots, and they also make the large expanses of water seem less friendly, as well as adding new possiblities for crafting, cooking, and hunting.

But that's just my take on it, can't wait for the new map, and I'm also hoping for a full reset.
ShadowAtlan

Postby theTrav » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I'd expect swimming is crawl speed and a good sail boat would be sprint speed... I can't see swimming making boats irrelevant over any significant body of water with a good speed (and cargo capacity) difference no matter what the implementation
theTrav

Postby sami1337 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm

theTrav wrote:I'd expect swimming is crawl speed and a good sail boat would be sprint speed... I can't see swimming making boats irrelevant over any significant body of water with a good speed (and cargo capacity) difference no matter what the implementation

Not to mention the use of boats to transport goods on river ways. (ie fast travel methods).
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:56 pm

sami1337 wrote:Not to mention the use of boats to transport goods on river ways. (ie fast travel methods).

Indeed. We will, most likely, not add boats with the map reset, but hope to do so not too long afterwards, but regardless of that, our current plan is to have them go at what is speed 4 for player characters, which would probably make the rivers important not only for topology, but also for general transportation over the land.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Gauteamus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:03 pm

loftar wrote:
sami1337 wrote:Not to mention the use of boats to transport goods on river ways. (ie fast travel methods).

Indeed. We will, most likely, not add boats with the map reset, but hope to do so not too long afterwards, but regardless of that, our current plan is to have them go at what is speed 4 for player characters, which would probably make the rivers important not only for topology, but also for general transportation over the land.

Are you sure you don't mean topography? *Imagining some escherian waterways flowing this way and that* Maybe simply have boats be speed 4 one way (no stamina loss) and speed 2 the other (with stamina loss). Also: wind directions and different speed profiles for different types of ships? Big trading carracks sailing swiftly on the trade winds, but as good as unable to gain against the wind, compared to smaller schooners capable of steeper angles against the wind. Of course no sailing ship can steer directly into the wind eye - enter the galley!
Image<<Bottleneck>>
What if Rosa Parks had a car?
Gauteamus

Postby Jest » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:31 pm

oi, oi, wait a minute. will there be bridges? bridges would be epic. me and a few friends want to make a village on a river but it'd be pretty stupid if we can't connect everything with bridges.

it could be something like making stone roads, just over water. or maybe have it act like a construction piece. when you want to build a bridge you select it and place the shadow (the pre-image of what your building thing) over the river, and the size and length of the bridge will increase depending on river size. the bigger the bridge the more resources it needs. something like that would be flipping awesome.
Jest

Postby loftar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Gauteamus wrote:Are you sure you don't mean topography?

Yes, I'm sure. The rivers, as I'm currently experimenting with them, form not only topographical features, but changes the topological connectedness of the land.

Jest wrote:oi, oi, wait a minute. will there be bridges? bridges would be epic.

I'd like to implement bridges sooner or later, but right now, it's very far from obvious how I would make bridges would work, so it'll probably be later rather than sooner. I do not want to implement them "the map altering way", since that would destroy the information that there once was water beneath.

Jest wrote:me and a few friends want to make a village on a river but it'd be pretty stupid if we can't connect everything with bridges.

Not necessarily, though -- in particular, as soon as we add boats, it would still be rather easy to ship cargo on and off the areas isolated by rivers, while it would still be more safe against theft than otherwise.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sami1337 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm

Jest wrote:oi, oi, wait a minute. will there be bridges? bridges would be epic. me and a few friends want to make a village on a river but it'd be pretty stupid if we can't connect everything with bridges.

it could be something like making stone roads, just over water. or maybe have it act like a construction piece. when you want to build a bridge you select it and place the shadow (the pre-image of what your building thing) over the river, and the size and length of the bridge will increase depending on river size. the bigger the bridge the more resources it needs. something like that would be flipping awesome.

Ferries.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby DrStealth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 pm

sami1337 wrote:Ferries.

Hell yeah! I'm starting a ferry/shipping company! :D
DrStealth

Postby Jackard » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 pm

how many pcs named Charun will we see i wonder
Jackard

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements