Game Development: Steelmaking, and stuff.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Steelmaking, and stuff.

Postby Vattic » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Exploding ovens has to be your best idea yet!

Yolan I like the idea of digging deeper when it comes to mines and was going to suggest it myself but it seems you beat me to it. I picture finding nasty creatures down in the mines that are spoiling for a fight and said nasty creatures getting more dangerous the deeper you go. Hopefully certain ores will only be found very deep(certain cyan ores perhaps? :P).
Vattic

Postby Winter » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Yeah the 12 hour thing is rather bad for me, because of it I'd need to come on every 10 hours to refuel them...

Sleep and work make that rather difficult and the people in my community are in the same timezone...
Winter

Postby Akarnael » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:10 am

[quote="jorb"]We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

[b]Expanded representation:[/b] We've expanded metallurgy quite a bit tonight. Basically the entire system has been reworked. Here's how it now works.

Ore dug from mines can be smelted in the Ore Smelter, but no longer yields generic iron. Instead, the yield is now "Cast Iron". Also, Ore that does not turn into Iron, now turns into stone. Cast Iron, in turn, can be further refined in a "Finery Forge" (Now buildable). The Finery Forge has a 50/50 chance of turning the cast iron into either "Bloom" or, if you're out of luck, "Slag". "Bloom" can be processed at an anvil, using a new craft recipe. When "Bloom" is processed, using this recipe, it has a 1/3 chance of turning into Wrought Iron and a 2/3 chance of turning [i]back[/i] into Cast Iron.

Now, for the fun part: Wrought Iron can be placed in a "Steel Crucible" (Now buildable). The Steel Crucible is a hellish little device, whose inventories can hold, respectively, two units of Wrought Iron, and two units of Coal. The "Steel Crucible" has a fuel meter that can be filled up, per the normal procedure, using wood (blocks, branches, etc.). If the Crucible's fuel meter is entirely full, it burns for 36 ingame hours (12 hours IRL). In order to produce steel, the Crucible has to [i]remain lit[/i] for [b]ONE INGAME WEEK[/b] that is for 56 real, IRL, hours. This will turn one unit of coal, and one unit of Wrought Iron, into one unit of steel. If the crucible goes out, or if all coal units are removed from it, the steelmaking process is reset.

... we know this is pretty hard-core.

Any iron you may have had will have turned into Cast Iron, and all items and objects that previously required iron for their production now have new costs assigned to them in cast or wrought iron, or steel.

Meatgrinder: Cast Iron
Cauldron: Cast Iron
Anvil: Cast Iron
Chest: Cast Iron
Pickaxe: Cast Iron
Miner's Helm: Wrought Iron
Smithy's Hammer: Cast Iron
Druid's Helm: Wrought Iron
Metal Saw: Wrought Iron
Chainmail Shirt: Wrought Iron
Plate Armor: Steel

[b]Equipment:[/b] Soldier's Helmet, Boar Tusk Helmet. The previously existing sword has now been split into "Soldier's Sword" and "Militia Sword". All previously existing Swords have been rendered as "Militia Swords".

Also, because of recent complaints about the disturbing lack of axes in H&H, a new Axe has been implemented: Battleaxe of The Twelfth Bay. ;)

[b]Other Changes:[/b] Log Cabins, Kilns, Smelters and Ovens now require a lot more resources to build. In particular, the Log Cabin now requires a metric assload of wood. Boars now give "Boar Tusk" as loot. Flax is now plantable. You can now lay stone via Adventure --> Landscaping --> Lay Stone. These stone tiles will, in the future, be used as the basis for roads.

And I think that's pretty much it. Feel free to opine. :)[/quote]

Oh Jorb will you please stop ignore me and GIVE ME A MINE!? *devastated* here i go with my foul leather items like a rag in the system of society, with no chances to get amazing steel items. WHO DO YOU TAKE ME FOR AYE? i will come to your house and rearrange everything... there is no telling in how evil it is to put all your tea leafs inside your house instead of outside in a box. Mohahahaha.... no seriously, i want a mine, i sent awesome mails with pictures.
Akarnael

Previous

Return to Announcements