Update: New minimaps

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Update: New minimaps

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 am

I think it'd clean things up if black wasn't used so often.

it seems to be an outline for everything and then also used for icons like trees
Jackard

Postby sabinati » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:04 am

this is really cool, but i would like to see the village idol graphic be just a tiny bit smaller, or possibly just draw a shaded area for village control zones instead. and it might look better without the black outline around everything. edit: great minds
sabinati

Postby sami1337 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:06 am

i have not logged in for a while and when i did i faced a huge fucking evil looking skull! I thought laketown got nuked or something. :o
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Laremere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:17 am

The black outline only really looks bad in places that look bad ingame anyways. I've also noticed that the Xs that show where players are is much less easy to see against the background of the new more colorful map.
Laremere

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:22 am

so background textures stay in the background... could remove outlines, desaturate a bit and lighten colors
Jackard

Postby jorb » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:05 am

Jackard wrote:desaturate a bit and lighten colors

We kind of wanted the feel of an illuminated manuscript.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Jackard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:12 am

it's just dirty right now though, difficult to see any details in civilized areas
Jackard

Postby Hamel » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:15 am

It looks very nice. Shrinking the icons would probably help, though.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:22 am

Laremere wrote:Also, I think walls should be given presence on the map, along with the RoB and the inn of Brodgar.

Edit: Another random idea if possible: When you click to make claims and village authority show, it could show on the minimap.

Yes, I was already thinking of all those three. The walls just lack some sprite or texture, while claims and/or authority would probably be better implemented in other ways, but I'm planning for it.

And, yes; I, too, noticed the problem with the player markers. They'll need more contrast in one way or another -- probably via lesser transparency and/or an outline.

Edit: Also, regarding how messy the civilized areas look, it could be argued that they look messy because they are messy. :) I haven't looked around everywhere yet, but particularly the RoB could certainly be argued to have that property. When I looked over in Bottleneck, I thought it looked quite alright, and Caketown also seems OK.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby skrylar » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:02 am

jorb wrote:
Jackard wrote:desaturate a bit and lighten colors

We kind of wanted the feel of an illuminated manuscript.

It looks more like an ink bottle exploded all over the manuscript where I live at the moment.
The most dapper fish you've ever seen.
And so he did say he was riding a dolphin, and that He was splashing water upon thee. --Chapter 1, Verse 2; Codex of Boats
skrylar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements