Input Wanted: Civilization

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Input Wanted: Civilization

Postby Hamel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 am

Oooo, pretty colors... Duly noted.

Anyway, I think you Devs are on the right track. But, I'm not sure about either of your methods to reach your goal. Jorb's Way+Credos seems the better of the two. That is because I do not think Loftar's Way would provide enough incentive to live in civilized areas.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 am

suggestion: less weight from hearthfires and more from village idols

other that that, cool
sabinati

Postby Brosephine » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:05 am

As weird as it may sound, I would consider weighting the civilisation levels on the repair levels like walls, ovens, kilns, etc

Since these things decay, inactive settlements would eventually become wilderness, leaving crumbling ghost towns stalked by hungry foxes - rather than a bunch of hearth fires keeping the place safe.
Brosephine

Postby Jackard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:35 am

Brosephine wrote:As weird as it may sound, I would consider weighting the civilisation levels on the repair levels like walls, ovens, kilns, etc

Since these things decay, inactive settlements would eventually become wilderness, leaving crumbling ghost towns stalked by hungry foxes - rather than a bunch of hearth fires keeping the place safe.

interesting
Jackard

Postby theTrav » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 am

I agree with the principle you've outlined. Hunting for leveling combat, and civ for leveling production sounds good.

I don't know if either of those plans to achieve the goal are going to be enough in and of themselves... I definitely prefer making production work better in civilized areas to making things break quicker in uncivilized areas (maybe do both?) as the former means civilized areas are just flat out REQUIRED for high quality gear, whereas the latter just means the hunters have to grind more to keep replacing their gear (no difference between replacing them in town or out of town as far as they are concerned).

I'd really like to see it achieved with the personal belief sliders as well

Also, WTF @ map, we got a lot of people in the north east now?
theTrav

Postby Rift » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:04 am

or have hearth fires decay through inactiveness and idols decay if all the players in the village are inactive or something...

As for the first concept, getting +to production quality in civilized area and -to production quality in the mordor strikes me as odd in a few ways.
Perhaps a less extreme thing would be to keep quality based on player skill in something [likely require a change in the current skill system], or on the animals lvl for animal-crafts and the amount of times a farm plot has been used [assumption is that people gain skill over time working in that plot]... And instead have civilization effect quantiity. Ie.. its easier to make MORE of something out of supplies in a civilized area, so its a lot easier to mass produce things, and in a mordor-type area, sure you can make a high quality item if you have the high quality goods, but you can't make "as much" of it. I'm unsure exactly how "quantity" modification would work for a lot of things... and would require a lot of changes, but it "jives" better with me then quality.

However, between doing nothing to effect items based on location and having civlization + to quality i would rather have jorb's idea.

Sidenote: Not that realism is important, but in real life i generally thing of civiilized areas as mass producing low quality items and uncivilized areas producing small amounts of high quality items [atleast if they are making the SAME type of things... like a wood chair or a cloak]
Rift

Postby Morsigil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 am

Re: the secluded master
Technology and craft has advanced due to unified effort. Knowledge passed between masters is the cause for advancement, not the trial and error of hermit smiths, philosophers, and technologists. I do not believe however that those in populous areas should strictly be the keepers of high technology. Technology should be a function of unified effort and resources, I.E. There should be resources that are too precious or dangerous to spare traveling to the boondocks to deliver, though if there are those willing to travel to bring them back that should definitively be possible. Structures that benefit from populous environments should be the limiter: labor(build), resources, labor(repair), etc.

Re: item decay in mordor
Item decay increased in mordor is a rude mechanic. It serves its purpose of increasing the demand for civilization's goods in the wild, but nothing more. It does not engender realism or, and thus for many people, enjoyment.

re: structure limitations
The idea of a structure only being buildable within the limits of a civilized zone is also gimmicky at best, similar to the idea of increased decay in the wilderness. Resources human, material, and technological, should be the limiter. Make item decay standard in such a way that a return to civilization now and again is necessary, exciting, and in a way scary or loathsome for the woodsman.

re:less weight for hearthfires, more for idols
Less weight for hearthfires and more for village idols is a great idea. Ideally the weight of a person in an area will be felt in his actions and not simply his residency. Brosephines idea is great too: the more active the populace, the less present the wildlife, but again it's a rude mechanic which replaces human action.
Lawspeaker of Buried Deeply.
Morsigil

Postby kobnach » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:32 am

Onionfighter wrote:I think it would be useful for there to be a way to gain lp that does not require wilderness. Currently, nothing really beats hunting. Making civilization useful for something would be great for keeping people together and retaining wilderness.

Agreement.
kobnach

Postby Morsigil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:39 am

kobnach wrote:
Onionfighter wrote:I think it would be useful for there to be a way to gain lp that does not require wilderness. Currently, nothing really beats hunting. Making civilization useful for something would be great for keeping people together and retaining wilderness.

Agreement.

Seriously? They're working on it. I don't think they ever said they weren't. Yeah you can run out and beat up a bear with your fists as it is, but that's going to change. Maybe wilderness won't be the best way. It seems premature to complain about that now.
Lawspeaker of Buried Deeply.
Morsigil

Postby farmchamp » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 am

Here is what I think, you do better at everything cilvilised near civilization, and in a village. Both equal. I don't want everyone around the rob, people should also do well in villages. On claims you do a bit worse, and out in mordor you do bad, but great HUNTIN MAN. Also, make it so newbs can go into mordor, just they get a warning. I want to find a secluded place! Also, when does the map reset? Next week?
OhNiner - Farmer, hunter, wanabee thief and general noob.
farmchamp

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements