Game Development: World 5

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 5

Postby BadMotel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:26 am

So much "why am I doing anything if I don't get LP from it. This game isnt fun anymore. I quit."

Jesus fucking christ guys, make up your minds. Not two weeks ago there were countless "This activity gives so much LP but makes no progress in the game, its stupid" threads my eyes bled reading them. You all ask why you are doing tasks if not for lp? PROGRESS! Sure, you can't do very much right now, because the world is new and you havnt learned to do much. When you get a little more developed, you can get your curi's going, and then do things that actually help. You can mine if you want metal, you can farm if you want food, you can hunt for skins/bones/food. Make silk. Tame a cow. Do whatever that fuck you want, and all the while, you're earning your LP. The point is not that you can just go offline and get as much LP as when your on, its that you arnt just doing whatever gives the most LP for LP sake, you are earning for accomplishing.

To all you quitters...

Later.
Today is a good day to die.
BadMotel

Postby Manson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:26 am

so uh am i the only one having fun
Manson

Postby Guattanator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:26 am

I'll agree with some people about how the system is better and how it is worse (more so worse), I preferred getting LP for doing things that advanced my area/village/character's abilities since I would do those anyway. They were fun, productive and you could set goals to get too (other than waiting for LP for a skill, something such as building a house or a palisade or a farm) you could also build your character to be a hunter, gatherer, fisher, farmer, fighter, miner, etc. without worry that you'd need to do something else to get that LP for something.
I know the biggest two arguments about why this system is better is that it's an "equalizer" in the fact that it makes LP gain mostly static for all players(the large gap between cooking and mining being an example of what was eliminated) and that it made botting/macroing harder/less effective and while yes, botting/macroing is less effective now it doesn't take much to make a "go here get this out of this basket and make a toy and stare it for a while to learn something" script for someone who has been botting. I dislike the need to "study" an object for a while for such low LP, possibly the later objects in the game will give much more LP, but I'm sure will require a ridiculous amount of intelligence and time to study. While "grinding" intelligence might not seem like a big deal it'll pretty much make the Barbarism side of the slider a cold and lonely place as well as take away from other more worthwhile FEP attributes.
The time factor just doesn't seem to be effective, it's like the game is saying "stop playing me and go do something productive with your life." but hell, maybe that's what J&L are saying, go do something useful rather than play our game, which would be sad if that was the case, I liked HnH worlds 2, 3 and 4 even though I never got tremendously far in them. My friends and I would get together and make a decent sized compound for the 3+ of us playing and build out from there, once even being a small village, though only 1 or 2 people ever traded with us.
The random baskets and such lying around wasn’t ever a major issue to us as we’d just clean it up or use the stuff for ourselves although it’ll be nice to go through an area that doesn’t look like a rotting ghost town though.
I do not support bots/macroers in any way shape or form, nor have I ever botted or macroed.
To address those confused about why people keep saying this is like a Facebook game now, it’s because in most Facebook games you need to do some trivial thing and wait about 15minutes ~5 days for something to happen only to restart the process all over again. So yes, this game basically forces you to play a Facebook game-like mechanic to advance without them trying to gouge you for money to increase your building speed.
I apologize for the wall of text, criticize at will.
Guattanator

Postby Senretsu » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:27 am

Fantastication wrote:
Senretsu wrote:This. From what I can tell, I can't farm Cone Cow's either. Does the curiousity only give you LP the first time?

You can only have one of each type of curiosity studying at the same time, but you can use the same curiosity sequentially.

Basically, if you can craft a curiosity and you're not currently studying it, you're losing out on LP (unless you're full studying other more valuable curiosities).

The only advantage bots have over playing is they can farm their dinky Cow curiosities non-stop, which is nothing. Stats is where you can really shine as a player who plays the game, fish, farm, hunt, whatever.

That's good news, I guess. However, I can't survive off the random rabbit and rat that chances into my path...
My main concern here is food. The game simply can't be played if your dead from starvation. I can't farm or fish, and foraging and low-level hunting barely fed anyone back in world 4 either. So, I assume, the suggested solution to this problem is to log on once every couple hours and use another cone cow til I can start playing the game actively?

It wasn't the grinding per se that made this game fun. It's the fact that while you were online, there was always something to do. But world 5? World 5 seems to be a waiting game. So uh, give it a few days for everyone to be able to log on and start doing things without their characters dying from lack of stamina or food or whatever, then I'm sure it'll be fun again.
Last edited by Senretsu on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senretsu

Postby Peloquinn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am

Jackard wrote:
Peloquinn wrote:We never botted either, and frankly I detest people who use bots. But if the bots are at fault for unbalancing the game, don't kill the LP system...kill the botting ability. Tons of other MMOs have managed to find a way to do it - why can't Haven and Hearth?

Do tell.

Do tell what? How the botting ability was impeded in Anarchy Online, Everquest, World of Warcraft, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, WURM Online (etc. the list goes on)...?

I don't know. I'm not a developer for those games, nor am I a botter - so I have very little idea of what they did to impede botting. But what I do know is that with all of these games there existed at least one period where suddenly the whole botting community was pissed and the rest of the gaming community seemed completely unphased. So if I were J&L, and I wanted to learn of these coding marvels, I would probably not go to Peloquinn.

There are, however, many people who one COULD go to, and that was my only point.

-Peloquinn
Peloquinn

Postby Wolfang » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am

MARY'S TITS CHRIST JEZUS!
sabinati wrote:But Wolfang, it's the mods who are trolls, remember. please have some mercy on this innocent victim of merciless trolling by the moderation team before you make any more ad hominem remarks about him.

Wolfang

Postby TOEEE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 am

I rage at the lost of all my stuff on world 4 but id have to say this new system is quite interesting, difficult but interesting, took me a bit to figure out the game but it all makes sense now, and manson if you read this, i too am having funn.
TOEEE

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:31 am

DatOneGuy wrote:

>easter egg facebook
Are you even trying with these entry level troll attempts?
Be more curious,

Oh please don't even start ya mundane greifer. the curiosities ARE like facebook, almost every facebook game has that EAXCT mechanic. You can take it as an insult if you want OR NOT...but it IS a fact. I know you think yourself such a veteran expert you can dictate wall of text biblical sonnets but it doesn't impress anyone but 2 month noobs and probably not even them. They all have their right to their opinions...the game IS fundamentally 95% different than before. ANd even I am finding it hard to "find the joy"....some will try and some will not. You epics will not change that.
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

Postby burgingham » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 am

Manson wrote:so uh am i the only one having fun

No, you are not. Others seem to enjoy it more though to bucket grind all day long, instead of actually playing the game and get LP as a byproduct (even while being offline). The quality race has gotten a whole new aspect too for the mid and late game now, since better q curiosities are better lp. As a newbie you have tons of options from different curiosities already and can do whatever the fuck you want to do all day long. I am really not sure why people enjoy that less than crafting one bucket after the other to see an arbitrary number popping up over their head...
burgingham

Postby SpiderJerusalem » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 am

Manson wrote:so uh am i the only one having fun

No I fucking love it :)

althogh I started very late in World4, so I like a restart :)
-Bottleneck-
SpiderJerusalem

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements