Game Development: World 5

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 5

Postby Peloquinn » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

DatOneGuy wrote:Not a single MMO to this day has successfully killed botting or hacking.

Anyone saying otherwise is a liar and a fool.

This botting and hacking thing is going way off track. You're right, nothing can be done to abolish these things. Any dev should know this, and so there exists very little reason to think that they jacked the whole game based on these elements. IF they did, it was stupid...there are many other ways to deal with impeding these behaviors, but I don't think that THIS is the reason.

-Peloquinn
Peloquinn

Postby Senretsu » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

Rhiannon wrote:
DatOneGuy wrote:

>easter egg facebook
Are you even trying with these entry level troll attempts?
Be more curious,

Oh please don't even start ya mundane greifer. the curiosities ARE like facebook, almost every facebook game has that EAXCT mechanic. You can take it as an insult if you want OR NOT...but it IS a fact. I know you think yourself such a veteran expert you can dictate wall of text biblical sonnets but it doesn't impress anyone but 2 month noobs and probably not even them. They all have their right to their opinions...the game IS fundamentally 95% different than before. ANd even I am finding it hard to "find the joy"....some will try and some will not. You epics will not change that.

"Oh hold on I'll be off your computer in a second mom I gotta check Vampire Wars and collect my blood"
Compare this to
"Oh hold on I'll be off your computer in a second mom I gotta check HnH and equip my curiosity's"
Senretsu

Postby ChimJim21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Anyone know how to build a Cupboard?
ChimJim21

Postby Potjeh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Copy paste of my argument to the devs to make curiosities the only LP source (I feel so hated now ^_^):
Making curiosities the sole way of gaining LP is also a way to make different playstyles more feasible. Right now, if you want to be a dedicated merchant you better like having a crappy character, since arranging and conducting deals doesn't give any LP and every moment spent trading is a moment not spent killing bears, grinding flour or doing something else that does give LP. Removing LP from actions will also remove the atmosphere-breaking gamey stuff, like killing animals and then just leaving the corpses there, or converting large swathes of forest into buckets. Removing incentive to do stuff that's essentially useless will result in people doing more useful stuff, especially in cases where the game itself can't distinguish between the two (are you making a bucket because you're grinding, or because you need a bucket?). Unlike the game, other people can easily tell if something is of benefit to them, and reward you for any kind of service accordingly. This would also kill macroing once and for all.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Fantastication » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Senretsu wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
DatOneGuy wrote:

>easter egg facebook
Are you even trying with these entry level troll attempts?
Be more curious,

Oh please don't even start ya mundane greifer. the curiosities ARE like facebook, almost every facebook game has that EAXCT mechanic. You can take it as an insult if you want OR NOT...but it IS a fact. I know you think yourself such a veteran expert you can dictate wall of text biblical sonnets but it doesn't impress anyone but 2 month noobs and probably not even them. They all have their right to their opinions...the game IS fundamentally 95% different than before. ANd even I am finding it hard to "find the joy"....some will try and some will not. You epics will not change that.

"Oh hold on I'll be off your computer in a second mom I gotta check Vampire Wars and collect my blood"
Compare this to
"Oh hold on I'll be off your computer in a second mom I gotta check HnH and equip my curiosity's"

This approach will be fantastic if you want 300 UA and 10 Strength.
Fantastication

Postby JoeNightmare » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Maybe this game is better off this way. Maybe farming will be more useful then i predict it will be. Maybe this slow start has a use. Maybe this all is a way to stop griefing. However, i am curious what the admins were hoping for in this new system.
JoeNightmare

Postby Shousha » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:37 am

We should keep in mind that we're all low level characters with no access to resources and neutral beliefs.

Presumably with higher level curiosities and full change we'll start seeing rate increases.
Shousha

Postby saltmummy626 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 am

find chicken
butcher chicken
?????
profit

srsly, that was alot of LP, for an entry level char I mean. also I got a wish bone! I like this new system. It actually makes getting LP at lower "levels" much easier, and less grindy. in fact, this new system (at least for me) makes it so when I do things, im not just doing it for LP anymore, im doing it to actually get shit done. thats my opinion on this though... you guys prolly think different though...
Want to touch my fibula?
Gulgatha, place of the skull.
saltmummy626

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:38 am

Guattanator wrote:I'll agree with some people about how the system is better and how it is worse (more so worse), I preferred getting LP for doing things that advanced my area/village/character's abilities since I would do those anyway. They were fun, productive and you could set goals to get too (other than waiting for LP for a skill, something such as building a house or a palisade or a farm) you could also build your character to be a hunter, gatherer, fisher, farmer, fighter, miner, etc. without worry that you'd need to do something else to get that LP for something.
I know the biggest two arguments about why this system is better is that it's an "equalizer" in the fact that it makes LP gain mostly static for all players(the large gap between cooking and mining being an example of what was eliminated) and that it made botting/macroing harder/less effective and while yes, botting/macroing is less effective now it doesn't take much to make a "go here get this out of this basket and make a toy and stare it for a while to learn something" script for someone who has been botting. I dislike the need to "study" an object for a while for such low LP, possibly the later objects in the game will give much more LP, but I'm sure will require a ridiculous amount of intelligence and time to study. While "grinding" intelligence might not seem like a big deal it'll pretty much make the Barbarism side of the slider a cold and lonely place as well as take away from other more worthwhile FEP attributes.
The time factor just doesn't seem to be effective, it's like the game is saying "stop playing me and go do something productive with your life." but hell, maybe that's what J&L are saying, go do something useful rather than play our game, which would be sad if that was the case, I liked HnH worlds 2, 3 and 4 even though I never got tremendously far in them. My friends and I would get together and make a decent sized compound for the 3+ of us playing and build out from there, once even being a small village, though only 1 or 2 people ever traded with us.
The random baskets and such lying around wasn’t ever a major issue to us as we’d just clean it up or use the stuff for ourselves although it’ll be nice to go through an area that doesn’t look like a rotting ghost town though.
I do not support bots/macroers in any way shape or form, nor have I ever botted or macroed.
To address those confused about why people keep saying this is like a Facebook game now, it’s because in most Facebook games you need to do some trivial thing and wait about 15minutes ~5 days for something to happen only to restart the process all over again. So yes, this game basically forces you to play a Facebook game-like mechanic to advance without them trying to gouge you for money to increase your building speed.
I apologize for the wall of text, criticize at will.

WOOf...here-here...wall fo text read like a biblical commandment and I agree with every word
************************************ RAVENHOLM ************************************
***************************** IN LIEBE UND FREUNDSCHAFT *************************
************************************* Für Immer **************************************
Rhiannon

Postby Potjeh » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 am

Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, the higher end curiosities will require a significant investment of effort, to the point where their availability is the limiting factor of LP growth rather than time?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements