The End of The World: Prelude

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The End of The World: Prelude

Postby Pacho » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:53 am

I kinda like it that way, the only people who will have extremely high quality items will be the ones who are probably so far out from other towns that the trading of those supreme items won't be nearly as common or cheap as the rest of items (as soon as teleportation is removed that is).
Pacho

Postby jorb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:58 am

Machenoid wrote:1. Just completely nullifies every resource that's below a certain quality after a certain point of map development, at least as far as serious business goes, and when the infinite map is done, players will spend enormous amounts of time looking for ever increasing quality sources. They'd setup shop next to a resource, scout nearby, and then decide "welp, we just found something that has double the quality over all this crap we have here, time to move" Which i suppose #4 would help remove abandoned places and #3 to limit the rate of movement of smaller groups.
2. A feature of seemingly every mmo ever (ultra original! never before seen! sarcastic statement number three!) newbies make VENDOR TRASH, poop socker crafter primary players charge an arm and a leg for their phatlewtz, and all non-poop socking crafters are religated to perminate alt status as it sucks up too much experience leveling crafting skills that could've been spent on combat/survival/MORE INTERESTING skills.

I don't think that is quite the case here, though. The main limiter on quality will in many cases be highly localized natural resources. The effect I'm hoping for is more in the vein of locality based production, rather than ever increasing levels of quality. The skill values do not work to effectively raise the product quality, they only limit how much of the potential of the raw material you can use. It should, thus, be noted that, a lot of the times, newbs will, at least to some extent, have access to the same quality raw materials as higher leveled players. With specialization a new player can thus relatively quickly reach a point at which he is able to provide useful goods from at least one line of production, allowing, hopefully, for trade.

Some resources, like plants (including trees) and, in the future, domesticated animals, can be refined to ever increasing levels of quality, but the process is slow, laborious and setback prone. Refining Silk Moths will, for example, include raising and breeding selective generations of new moths, each generation having to go through the full life cycle. Each of these processes have that in common that they are hard to do ground breaking refinement on, but when you already have a sample of a certain quality, that sample will be relatively easy to duplicate.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby theTrav » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 am

jorb wrote:The main limiter on quality will in many cases be highly localized natural resources. The effect I'm hoping for is more in the vein of locality based production,

Does this mean that fixing telporting is your next priority?
theTrav

Postby TheJohan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 am

but what about the map?
TheJohan

Postby Loopoo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Darn, about time! I've been waiting to get going for so long!

Just one question...I want to get my Wheat fields (I don't really care about much else, it can wait) up and running ASAP. Where do I get the seeds from? Will you have a stock at the RoB? Or can I get it by foraging?
Loopoo

Postby PhaedrothSP » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:17 pm

I have a feeling for seeds there'll be random stocks of crops growing around, just like there are on this map.

I can't wait to start exploring!
PhaedrothSP

Postby Loopoo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:24 pm

I really wanted to start off with someone, but I just don't like the fact of being not in control of how the base runs :p

If I had a brother or something, it'd be nicer, but I don't. After all, some random guy I build with could end up fucking me up, or he just builds in an ugly way :D
Loopoo

Postby Xarx » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Will copper, tin, silver and gold have their uses right from the start or will you be adding them in?

I would hate to build a mine only to find out it is completely useless.
Xarx

Postby Potjeh » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 pm

FInally :D

About those mine-finding concoctions: I hope we don't have to cook them in a cauldron. Because how do we make a cauldron without a mine?
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby PhaedrothSP » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Maybe certain herbs just ground together?
I'm pretty sure we could make a mortar and pestle set from stone.
PhaedrothSP

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements