The New World: ... a few hours on.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: The New World: ... a few hours on.

Postby Hunter712 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Is swimming really supposed to be so... Stupid? I just lost my character, instantly, I didn't know I would die instantly...
Hunter712

Postby Jackard » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Jorb, why in the world are you still using those horrific textures on your map? That can't be helping server lag.

I was able to shrink your map from almost 10MB to 282KB. Completely ridiculous.

http://tinyurl.com/hnh-map
Last edited by Jackard on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackard

Postby Yolan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:07 pm

By the way, we have found a nice spot for Brodgar now that that massive claim was moved out the way. Anybody interested in helping, just come north from the RoB, till you reach the tip of the river! :D
Yolan

Postby Laremere » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 pm

Has anyone been able to find the herbs for finding a mine as of yet? I am yet to see it at all.

Also, after warning not to swim (but apparently not enough) my friend drowned in a stream that was only 6 wide. After finally coaxing him to try playing again, he goes and kills his character. Now we have no metal worker :(
Laremere

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Where's that?

Anyway, what is a Kuksa?

And how do you move a plow without plowing?
Last edited by Peter on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise.
Peter

Postby Laremere » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm

You use it to hold water.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuksa
Laremere

Postby sabinati » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:38 pm

jorb wrote:As dawn breaks on the new world, the worst of the initial lags, crashes and problems seem to be settling down. As of this posting there are 122 people logged in, and the server is holding up decently at the moment. A few reflections.

1st: DON'T TRY TO SWIM UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF CONSTITUTION. 40 MINIMUM.... you might drown otherwise. We've had a few accidents.
2nd: Please note that the infinite map generation is not automated yet. This means we'll have to do it manually for a while, which means you might run into the old invisible wall from time to time.
3rd: Have fun.
4th: Here is a map for the centralmost supergrid (5000x5000 tiles, one old map.). We will not post updates to this map. Map updates will be playermade via a skill in the future. Until then, this is what you have.

http://www.seatribe.se/roligabilder/new-map.png

so what are the new terrain types? the one that looks like a brownish grassland? what is that? wasteland maybe? i couldn't dig soil from it.
sabinati

Postby theTrav » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 pm

hmm, interesting stuff to hear.

From the sounds of it swimming works as follows:
Brand new player: Enter deep water and you will drown, the end.
Medium time player approx 20 con (less than a week): If you're ultra cautious and enter and leave a single tile of deep water, you might not drown and you should be able to see your stamina lose a massive chunk
Long time player approx 40 con (over a month): You can probably paddle around a bit, crossing a river is a major risk, don't do it unless you have to.
Super player, 80+ con: You can cross rivers pretty safely if you start with full stamina, stay away from lakes.

I was hoping for larger rivers and I was hoping to be able to build near RoB, but if that's where Del wants to put new new goon heim town ville then I guess I'll just go find new new eastern south west old bottleneckmurderedboatvillage
theTrav

Postby MrDoomBringer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:45 pm

What the hell. The sounds were loud to begin with, I almost blew my subwoofer chopping a tree. Where are the volume controls on this thing?
MrDoomBringer

Postby Brosephine » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Jackard wrote:Jorb, why in the world are you still using those horrific textures on your map? That can't be helping server lag.

I was able to shrink your map from almost 10MB to 282KB. Completely ridiculous.

http://tinyurl.com/hnh-map

I was about to mention this myself. The PNG file format is best suited to images with a only a small number of differing colours.
Brosephine

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements