Game Development: Cartography.

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Cartography.

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:38 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

Maps
Players can now draw maps on parchment. There are two types of maps at present: Local maps, and regional maps. By using the cartography skill, the character draws a map of the area he is in, on a blank parchment or, preferably, on an already existing map of the same local area.

One local map covers, if all the constituent grids are filled in, an area the size of 4 by 4 minimaps. Please note that drawn maps do not automatically update themselves. They are snapshots of the area at the time the map was drawn. If you use the cartography action again, in an area you already have a map of, the relevant map will be updated.

A map can be copied, updated from another map or drawn unto a regional map. Copying creates a copy of the map parchment in question, quite simply. Copy by holding the map and right clicking on a blank parchment. Update one map, using information on another map of the same area, by right clicking on the map that is to be updated, while holding the newer map.

Finally, local maps can be drawn unto regional maps. Regional maps display, at greater zoom distance, five by five local maps, or 20 by 20 minimaps (an area equivalent to one quadrant of a supergrid). These maps can then be updated using local maps. Please note that the local map must be completely filled in before it can be drawn unto a regional map, or used to update it.

Also, chickens are now butcherable. The meat can be roasted. You get feathers. You need feathers, quills, to draw maps. You also need ink. Ink is made from a new herb, the inkweed. Found on a grassland, heath or moor near you. Quills break sometimes.

Further down the road this will hopefully be updated for increased manageability, ability to arbitrarily draw markers on maps, grand grimoires of geography, and God alone knows what else. Baby steps, though.

Please note that the RoB is situated on a fault line between four "regions". This means that It's going to be a bit of work establishing player drawn maps of that area. This sucks, somewhat, but it is what it is. At least it's doable, and you'll probably find this new skill helpful when kicking it out in the Frontier Territories.

This is all very rough, but also all very useful.

Also, swimming toggle. Stop drowning.

That is all. Enjoy.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Cartography.

Postby sabinati » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 am

fucking :D
sabinati

Postby Jfloyd » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:42 am

What stat does chicken meat give?
"When I grow up, I want to be just like Kaka" -James Floyd, on growing up.
Jfloyd

Postby dasneik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 am

Oh boy, roasted chicken. So when will we have watermelons? And dark skin? And afro hairstlye? And tailorable tuxedo outfits?
dasneik

Postby theTrav » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:44 am

Where does the ink come from?

Can maps be cleared?

What stats does chicken meat effect and how does quality come into it?

Can we have tar please?
theTrav

Postby Lightning4 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 am

Jfloyd wrote:What stat does chicken meat give?

Dex.
Lightning4

Postby sabinati » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:51 am

The Trav - Ink is made from a new herb, the inkweed. Found on a grassland, heath or moor near you
sabinati

Postby Voideka » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 am

You guys are just awesome, I really appreciate all the work you put into this thing. Man I love this game.
Voideka

Postby Vanigo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 am

Only one point of dex, though.

Also, I butchered a chicken and got three q10 feathers and seven feathers at Q134million.
Don't know what to do with them.
Vanigo

Postby kobnach » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 am

Yum! yum! yum! Thank you.

However - it seems the adventure menu has overflowed, and I no longer have "toggle tracking" available.

Edit - others have a next button on their adventure menu. I'm guessing they have both swimming and cartography, ie two buttons overflowing, whereas I only have one.

Edit - buying swimming didn't help, so now I can neither use ranging nor protect myself from rivers. Logging out and back in didn't help either.

Edit - reloading the client did help.
Last edited by kobnach on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
kobnach

Next

Return to Announcements