Game Development: Bed & Breakfast

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Bed & Breakfast

Postby jorb » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:22 am

We've been developing tonight, and here's what's new.

Travel system

The old logins @ various places (RoB, Village, Hearth) have been yanked out. In their steads there is now the travel system. Behold.

Crossroads: The village leadership (Chieftain and Lawspeaker) can now construct Crossroads in areas under village influence/authority. Once you've constructed the crossroads, it has to be named. Do so by right clicking on it. Once the Crossroads has been named, right click again and choose "Connect". You now have a road sign in your inventory. Hold the road sign and right click on another Crossroads to connect them. There is now a one way connection between the first crossroads and the second. Right click on a connected crossroads, and you'll see a list of connections, with an option to travel to each of them. You will also see how much Travel Weariness you'll suffer from traveling to the destination. There are also travel options that are always available, regardless of Crossroads. Adventure -> Travel -> "...to Ring of Brodgar", "...to Your Hearthfire" and "...to your village."

Travel Weariness: When your Travel Weariness "buff" hits 100%, you won't be able to quick travel, quite simply. The one exception is that you can always quick travel to your Hearthfire, although it will still cost travel weariness. There is only one way to reduce travel weariness at present, although we will add more soon. Build a bed, and sleep in it. There are two bed types. Straw, and Sturdy. Sleeping logs you out, and removes some weariness over time, while you're logged out. The amount of weariness lost depends on bed type, bed quality and time logged out.

The amount of weariness you can take is based on agility. Higher agility means you'll be able to travel farther. The amount of weariness gained when traveling is determined, non-linearly, by distance. Traveling the same distance with many small hops is preferable to one or a few large hops.

You can still choose to log in at your Hearthfire, but it will cost Travel Weariness, calculated from your last position in game.

Also, there's a bagel avaliable under Craft -> Cooking -> Baking.

Enjoy.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Bed & Breakfast

Postby Bl1tzX » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:28 am

And I just joined a village in the middle of nowhere.
Ah well. This seems interesting, though I don't fully understand. (That's just me and my bad reading.)
Last edited by Bl1tzX on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bl1tzX

Postby PhaedrothSP » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:28 am

nice to see you thought of a way to keep the 'Ring of Brodgar' a common sight in the game, even if it is edible.
PhaedrothSP

Postby Pacho » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:30 am

BOATS

But seriously, this is awesome! =D
Pacho

Postby gisewindblade » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:33 am

Wow, Nice idea!

This makes traveling more complex, but I like it!

Oh and... BAGEL!
King of Asgard
gisewindblade

Postby sabinati » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:33 am

so the travel points can only be built in a village?
sabinati

Postby Hamel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:35 am

Very interesting. But, I must ask, do you remain in the bed while you are logged off? So people can kill you?
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby jorb » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:36 am

Hamel wrote:Very interesting. But, I must ask, do you remain in the bed while you are logged off? So people can kill you?

There's a graphical representation of your character sleeping in the bed, but it's not possible to interact with him in any way what so ever.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:36 am

sabinati wrote:so the travel points can only be built in a village?

Yes; it is not only convincing, but we wanted them to be relatively rare (kinda like in Zelda 3), and that was the only reasonable way we could think of. See also the rationale thread in C&I for more info about their future effects, which also related to villages.

We might revise it to be somehow possible in other location, if we can think of any reasonable such way.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Gaiadin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:38 am

could we get some kind of frame of reference for the agility required to travel certain distances? For instance, crossing from one side of a super grid to another. I'm just talking approximations. Are we going to have to have like 100+ agi to get between our mines and our village?
Gaiadin

Next

Return to Announcements