Game Development: Bed & Breakfast

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bed & Breakfast

Postby VoodooDog » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:42 pm

Potjeh wrote:This'll all be better when we get boats. Or better yet, horse wagons with huge capacity and rafts capable of transporting those wagons across water.

Anyway, I think this limiting of teleportation is a step in the right direction. IMHO, the game was more interesting back when there was no teleportation whatsoever than when we could port as much as we want across the whole map. Back then there was reason to build roads and establish villages relatively close to each other, which made for a more interesting world. With limitless teleportation and a huge map, optimal strategy would be to live as a hermit hidden deep in Mordor, and just have an idol somewhere on the other end of the world to meet with friends for trade. IMHO, a world of nothing but hermits is a boring world.

word
VoodooDog

Postby sami1337 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Potjeh wrote:This'll all be better when we get boats. Or better yet, horse wagons with huge capacity and rafts capable of transporting those wagons across water.

Anyway, I think this limiting of teleportation is a step in the right direction. IMHO, the game was more interesting back when there was no teleportation whatsoever than when we could port as much as we want across the whole map. Back then there was reason to build roads and establish villages relatively close to each other, which made for a more interesting world. With limitless teleportation and a huge map, optimal strategy would be to live as a hermit hidden deep in Mordor, and just have an idol somewhere on the other end of the world to meet with friends for trade. IMHO, a world of nothing but hermits is a boring world.

The world of a hermit is a nice one though.

With the addition of the ability to turn your village into a spawn village newbies can insta join and spawn part of the problem will be fixed as hermit towns become central towns with smaller villages around.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby VoodooDog » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:03 pm

no no. evil guys would use this for evil things.

edit: oh maan. i start to love the game new. everything is something like a new experience. now far distances are really far.. if you go like 15min in one direction you cant just go back. if you travel out, you have to make a plan. just luv it
VoodooDog

Postby Potjeh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this: I have a request for developers. When you implement writs of permission, for the love of all that is holy, please don't make them inventory items. Seriously, imagine having to carry a writ for every crossroad you want to use. With flasks, keys and writs, it'd be impossible to carry all you have to carry without a backpack, let alone have room to carry other stuff like food, clay or misc items.

I suggest that granting permission to use crossroads should work like granting citizenship - ie an action in the government menu for lawspeakers and chieftains. However, and this is very important, the givers of these writs have to be able to view a list of permitted travelers and remove people from it at any time. Otherwise, I will never grant a writ to anyone, and I'm sure a lot of other lawspeakers and chieftains will do the same.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Laremere » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Laremere

Postby RawrMistress » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:31 pm

loftar wrote:
sabinati wrote:so the travel points can only be built in a village?

Yes; it is not only convincing, but we wanted them to be relatively rare (kinda like in Zelda 3), and that was the only reasonable way we could think of. See also the rationale thread in C&I for more info about their future effects, which also related to villages.

We might revise it to be somehow possible in other location, if we can think of any reasonable such way.

Alrighty, so... basically we can put one in our village, and put one in another village? Would that work? Haven't tried it yet so I'm asking :D
RawrMistress

Postby loftar » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm

RawrMistress wrote:Alrighty, so... basically we can put one in our village, and put one in another village? Would that work? Haven't tried it yet so I'm asking :D

Well... yeah. That's the whole point. :)
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby nutsnmango » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I hope the developers take the time to read my message in this huge thread, because this is directed at them. I understand the intent behind the system and I believe it is a good one, and it will make the game a more satisfying experience, but right now it is useless because travel weariness recuperates too slowly. My character was in a bed for over 8 real life hours and I recuperated less than 5% travel weariness. Is this the developers intent? do they want my character to have to sleep for an entire real life week before travel and trade at the ring of Brodgar is feasible again ? If so I beg you to reconsider. I'm sure I and many others won't have an issue with this system if travel weariness just takes about 8 real life hours to recuperate. In it's current incarnation the travel system is so useless it might as well not be there.

-Mrs Black Louse
nutsnmango

Postby bajuba » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

I can't travel right now? plz explain

I was in combat with a cow... lol
Last edited by bajuba on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was Lawspeaker of Macomb in W2.
bajuba

Postby jorb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Okay, all. This is a temporary fix because there's been so many complaints. Drinking beer and wine will remove travel weariness. Expect the exact details of this to be changed completely soon.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements