Game development: Tree replanting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game development: Tree replanting

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:16 pm

No, by the "final stage", I mean the stage in which you find the trees "naturally". Currently, the trees that are planted only grow to the stage right before that.

And, the trees currently have 6 stages each: the tiny stage in which they begin when planted, 3 intermediate stages, the "finished" stage for planted trees, and then the stage in which they are found naturally (and into which they will, eventually, be able to grow, if given a lot of time). So that means that each planted fir will, currently, give rise to four tiles of forest terrain.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby holychicken » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm

Cool, loftar, thanks for the clarification. It is good to know that the trees are actually done growing, at least under the current implementation.
holychicken

Postby Malicus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:04 pm

loftar wrote:No, by the "final stage", I mean the stage in which you find the trees "naturally". Currently, the trees that are planted only grow to the stage right before that.

And, the trees currently have 6 stages each: the tiny stage in which they begin when planted, 3 intermediate stages, the "finished" stage for planted trees, and then the stage in which they are found naturally (and into which they will, eventually, be able to grow, if given a lot of time). So that means that each planted fir will, currently, give rise to four tiles of forest terrain.

So... is it that their growing to the last stage is not implemented yet, or has not enough time passed that that's possible so far? Because I've been waiting forever to see if my trees will finally grow...
Malicus

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm

It hasn't been implemented yet. Or, to be more precise, the growing itself is implemented, but the secondary mechanism by which I want to have them grow is not implemented yet, so there is nothing to trigger it. To be even more precise, I wish to implement a general "map decay" function, and the last stage of tree growth should be one of its effects.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby theTrav » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 pm

loftar wrote:So that means that each planted fir will, currently, give rise to four tiles of forest terrain.

If you plant on the edge of a forest, is it guaranteed that it will convert 4 grassland tiles? Or is there a chance that it will randomly select a tile that is already forest and therefore have no effect?
theTrav

Postby Pacho » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 am

I hope it doesn't try to convert forest tiles already, otherwise the player made forests will be full of holes <.<
Pacho

Postby Malicus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Pacho wrote:I hope it doesn't try to convert forest tiles already, otherwise the player made forests will be full of holes <.<

Considering that I just had three trees grow and got only 2 forest tiles (I'm pretty sure), this seems to be the case. Alas.

Edit: Or I could be wrong, or I missed a space before, or something. I dunno now.

Edit 2: I think I discovered why I missed this before, though this leaves the quoted issue unanswered. The client does not seem to update the change from grass to forest unless the map section is reloaded. I saw that the tree next to my well had grown without creating a forest tile. I eventually decided to try relogging, and when I did, a forest tile was there.
Malicus

Postby Vanigo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:40 am

Hey, is it just me, or do you not get any LP by planting trees? Given the time and effort involved, I'd think there would be some LP payout.
Vanigo

Postby niltrias » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:02 am

Vanigo wrote:Hey, is it just me, or do you not get any LP by planting trees? Given the time and effort involved, I'd think there would be some LP payout.

The Fraternal Order of Tanners feels your pain.
<Marcher Lord>
Dogs! Oh god, please give us DOGS!
There are those who press on with the ardor of beer, and those who are faint with thirst.
niltrias

Postby Malicus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:42 am

Are man-made forests supposed to be able to spawn forest creatures? I have yet to see a forest-exclusive spawn in my forest, though said forest is not in any way solid yet. (And if they're not supposed to, then... what's the point?)
Malicus

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements