Game development: Tree replanting

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game development: Tree replanting

Postby holychicken » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Define "space." I walk around the world and see forests that are way more dense than the one I am looking at. Is there a difference between grown and created when it comes to space? How close can I plant them? Is it different north/south than it is east/west?
holychicken

Postby Blaze » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:05 pm

The original trees were all placed fully grown, before the tree-growing mechanic was added, and are therefore exempt from normal growing rules (They're exempt anyway since they're ALREADY fully grown).

I'd say your best bet is to place trees around 4-6 tiles apart.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:16 pm

i heard they need 3 tiles. 1 tile around the tree.
The ones who see things differently.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
sami1337

Postby Blaze » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 pm

So 6 spaces, between each tree.

Also, try not to place them near your farms or roads, since forest tiles will replace them.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Blaze wrote:So 6 spaces, between each tree.

Also, try not to place them near your farms or roads, since forest tiles will replace them.

I didn't say that. According to what i heard you need two tiles between each tree.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.
sami1337

Postby Blaze » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:42 pm

Perhaps one tile for one growth stage?
How many stages does a tree need to go through before it's fully grown?
Blaze

Postby holychicken » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:42 pm

I think these may be bugged then because there has to be at least a few of them that have enough space. . .i suspect ALL of them do. . . but they refuse to reach full height.
holychicken

Postby loftar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:00 pm

More precisely, a tree needs three times the space it will occupy when it grows to the next stage.

As for the final stage of growth, they do not grow to it right now, but they will eventually. I plan to implement that using another mechanism which doesn't yet exist. Either way, it will take much longer for them to assume that stage of growth than the other stages.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby sami1337 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Ah. But right now they have 3 stages right? So i suppose you'd mean a dying stage.

sami1337

Postby moonshield » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:13 pm

sami1337 wrote:Ah. But right now they have 3 stages right? So i suppose you'd mean a dying stage.

I guess he means those large trees as seen on one of the mockups. And i think tress have 4 stages at the moment.
moonshield

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements