Game Development: Bling & Beer Brawl

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: ugh

Postby Devour » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Jackard wrote:
Devour wrote:MMO Sandbox =/= Normal Game Sandbox

"im not actually wrong, im just using my own definition of the word"

No, I'm using the normal MMO definition of the word, as you'd find if you visited mmorpg.com. =)
Devour

Postby Delamore » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Devour wrote:No, I'm using the normal MMO definition of the word, as you'd find if you visited mmorpg.com. =)

So mmorpg.com gets to define what sandbox means? and not the long standing term from other games and other mmos?
Delamore

Postby Devour » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Delamore wrote:So mmorpg.com gets to define what sandbox means? and not the long standing term from other games and other mmos?

Considering MMORPG.com is using the definition as defined by general gamers, yes, it does.

Examples of non-sandbox MMOs: World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies. Despite that any of those, if we used the normal gaming theory sandbox definition of sandbox, would count as one, they do not.
Devour

Postby Voideka » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Devour wrote:
Delamore wrote:So mmorpg.com gets to define what sandbox means? and not the long standing term from other games and other mmos?

Considering MMORPG.com is using the definition as defined by general gamers, yes, it does.

Examples of non-sandbox MMOs: World of Warcraft, Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies. Despite that any of those, if we used the normal gaming theory sandbox definition of sandbox, would count as one, they do not.

Could you link me to this definition? I read mmorpg.com all the time and as far as I've seen they use the same definition as everyone else. I'm guessing you're talking about theme parks versus sandboxes, which they go into a lot, and it's the same thing I was talking about. In fact, they even basically say that the definition you are using is wrong ( http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/f ... 092/page/1 ). A sandbox doesn't need to be a place entirely made by players, or anything of the sort. WoW is a theme park, because it restricts what you can do and slowly unlocks content; you start off in one zone and they say "hey, now you go to town B" and at the end of town B they tell you to go to town C. If you try to skip over a town, you'll be too low level to do the quests, and they won't let you really do anything there. If WoW allowed you to go just about anywhere at any level, it would be a sandbox.

Sorry for drawing this out, but in terms of HH I think it's an important thing to understand.
Voideka

Previous

Return to Announcements