Game Development: Bling & Beer Brawl

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bling & Beer Brawl

Postby Hamel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:40 pm

eql wrote:what are you guys fighting for? this isnt some kind of caveman tribe where you can fight for superiority and become the alpha male.

There's an easier way to do that, even. It involves big clubs and bonking people on the head while grunting.
The grumpiest tree you ever did see.

Character: Hamel, previously Chieftain of Ancient Bottleneck, a founding father of the Confederation of Bottleneck. Currently a hibernating soul.
Hamel

Postby Devour » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:12 pm

eql wrote:such a gay flamefest these days.

what are you guys fighting for? this isnt some kind of caveman tribe where you can fight for superiority and become the alpha male.

Man, the game is called Caves & Calfs.
Devour

Postby Voideka » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Chakravanti wrote:@Voideka - Sandbox means you change change the world. Not that you can do whatever you want without conseqences.

I don't usually argue about semantics but this is about the base essence of the game. A sandbox doesn't need to involve changing the world (it can, but it doesn't have to be), for example GTA4 and Prototype are both sandbox games. A sandbox game is something you can play however you want, within the confines of the game. So in Prototype for example, you can run around killing civvies, you can run around killing infected, or you can just ignore anything you don't need to kill. But when the game penalizes you heavily for doing something in a way that was not intended, it's not really a sandbox. That's like saying your game provides an infinitely large map but then surrounding the main area with impassable mountains.

If you'd like to learn more, there's a fantastic article about sandbox games here http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=18545 , and of course there are some straight definitions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay and http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=7771 .
Voideka

Postby Devour » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 am

Voideka wrote:I don't usually argue about semantics but this is about the base essence of the game. A sandbox doesn't need to involve changing the world (it can, but it doesn't have to be), for example GTA4 and Prototype are both sandbox games. A sandbox game is something you can play however you want, within the confines of the game. So in Prototype for example, you can run around killing civvies, you can run around killing infected, or you can just ignore anything you don't need to kill. But when the game penalizes you heavily for doing something in a way that was not intended, it's not really a sandbox. That's like saying your game provides an infinitely large map but then surrounding the main area with impassable mountains.

If you'd like to learn more, there's a fantastic article about sandbox games here http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... tory=18545 , and of course there are some straight definitions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay and http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=7771 .

MMO Sandbox =/= Normal Game Sandbox

They are differents. Otherwise, every MMO would be a sandbox. And that would be NAUGHTY.
Devour

Postby theTrav » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:25 am

Voideka wrote:A sandbox game is something you can play however you want, within the confines of the game.

While I tend to agree with the sentiment, the problem with that statement is that "the confines of the game" seems to be directly opposed to "play however you want"

Which is why I tend to fall back on the good old "non linear" or "not goal driven" definitions.

I actually looked up sandbox a while back and found a definition that sat far better with me which was that a "sandbox" is a mode within a game where you are not constrained by the normal restrictions like lack of time or resources or other mechanical constraints on realizing your vision. Kind of like playing transport tycoon with infinite money and the ability to do whatever you like to towns and opponents.

That's certainly not the sort of game H&H seems to be shaping up as, and with the way the advice for new players go (always get pottery, do these tasks, then get farming then do these tasks etc) it seems to be a bit more linear than I'd have liked, despite the lack of game enforced plot/quests.

Really I think the term sandbox has changed quite a bit since it was first coined, so any semantic argument that tries to pin down an exact argument is going to have difficulty.
theTrav

ugh

Postby Jackard » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 am

Devour wrote:MMO Sandbox =/= Normal Game Sandbox

"im not actually wrong, im just using my own definition of the word"
Jackard

Postby Voideka » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am

theTrav wrote:
Voideka wrote:A sandbox game is something you can play however you want, within the confines of the game.

While I tend to agree with the sentiment, the problem with that statement is that "the confines of the game" seems to be directly opposed to "play however you want"

Which is why I tend to fall back on the good old "non linear" or "not goal driven" definitions.

I actually looked up sandbox a while back and found a definition that sat far better with me which was that a "sandbox" is a mode within a game where you are not constrained by the normal restrictions like lack of time or resources or other mechanical constraints on realizing your vision. Kind of like playing transport tycoon with infinite money and the ability to do whatever you like to towns and opponents.

That's certainly not the sort of game H&H seems to be shaping up as, and with the way the advice for new players go (always get pottery, do these tasks, then get farming then do these tasks etc) it seems to be a bit more linear than I'd have liked, despite the lack of game enforced plot/quests.

Really I think the term sandbox has changed quite a bit since it was first coined, so any semantic argument that tries to pin down an exact argument is going to have difficulty.

Well to be fair, no game is going to be infinite, therefor there are always constraints. There is no jousting in GTA4, by the by, but that doesn't stop it being a sandbox.

The part about the linearity however, is exactly what I mean. I hear QL is getting changed somehow, but let's keep it as an example. If I want to see item quality, I have to raise per, which means that I'd need to abandon my style of play in order to spike it up. If I don't spike it, I will be crippled by not knowing QLs. This forces linearity, which is not very sandboxy.
Voideka

Postby NaoWhut » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:09 am

WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH
BEER AND THE OUTRAGEOUS CHANGE
TO QUALITY VIEW!? And why aren't
crying about no boats this time around?
ImageImage
NaoWhut

Postby CG62 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 am

NaoWhut wrote:WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH BEER AND THE OUTRAGEOUS CHANGE TO QUALITY VIEW!?

^This.

Whatever happened to that guideline for the forums that went something like, "This is not a drama llama petting zoo"?

It's a sandbox game. It's a slightly more linear than normal sandbox, but you literally have NO predefined goals. You can set your own goals, but there are none set by the game. There's no "Reach Level X to win", or "Own 500k [item]".

Now, how about we douse these smoldering flames and get back to the discussion?
CG62

Postby NaoWhut » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:45 am

Or we can go totally off topic again
and get mad at me for trying to bring
you back :cry:

Anyway, how bout them Rats eh?
rat stew? or chickens? making
cocktails?

Or hey! even the original topic? I got
to a glass too much today ^^ i luv 2
be drunk in this game J&L though