Game Development: Bling & Beer Brawl

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bling & Beer Brawl

Postby Voideka » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 am

theTrav wrote:Well that's my point. You were NOT talking to me. You don't know me, you don't want to make any effort to know me, or where my opinions are coming from. You have a whole lot of vague angst that you're projecting against my posts without any factual backing.

Voideka you are making incorrect assumptions and showing symptoms of mental laziness, which I find offensive.

I'm wondering if you see what's going on here. I made a post complaining about people like you constantly insulting people and telling them to shut up, then you insult me and tell me to shut up and claim you're taking the high road.

I'm going to say it one last time:

STOP IT.

Stop this kind of behavior, it is not conducive to a healthy community. We don't need people insulting others or telling them to be quiet if they don't agree with you. If you don't want people to look down on your behavior, stop behaving in antagonistic ways.

Just stop, it's not cool.

-------------------------------------------------

Back on topic now, the crafting system is starting to remind me of the one in Star Wars: Galaxies. It was nearly impossible to sell/trade any low quality items, but you were forced to a make a ton of near useless, low Q items in order to level your crafting skill. We're not there yet, since people don't need to grind the items themselves to make better objects, but people do need to grind in general to do so.

People are talking about how easy it is to make food, to make carrots to raise per etc, while at the same time saying noobs shouldn't be traveling very far. I'm sorry to say, but you can't have both. Right now the main supergrid is a minefield of claims, and there isn't a lot of room for a new player to just set up camp. Not only that, being so near the RoB means they will be stolen from and vandalized quite a bit, so being in non-lethal animal areas can be really frustrating. Hell, I spent maybe 2 hours walking to an empty spot in the wilderness and still had it robbed and trashed a couple times (thanks for putting my claim on the public map onion -_-). I like being part of a village, but I also like having my own claim to work, which means hours and hours of walking and running from animals to get to a place that hopefully will be inconvenient to raid. Now I'm lucky since I've been around awhile and know people, so I got to join a village and drop a claim nearby, but for a noob who doesn't want to do that right off the bat, it's just really difficult. Now toss in the per change which means they can't even participate in a village without grinding, nor can they trade without possibly being ripped off, and you have a pretty bad situation for a first timer.

I myself can do almost nothing in my village any more. I have good skill levels, but I can't see what I'm doing, so I could be ruining a farm instead of making it better, for example. And no, I don't really want to grind up my perception, for several reasons: first of all I hate grinding, but secondly I wanted to raise my stats evenly, so I would have to grind less. Right now I'm trying to get enough cave bulbs to get my psy up, and after that I get to work on dex. I really don't like the Idea of grindng my per up to ~60 and then being faced with needing 60 FEP for the rest of my stats which are only in the low 30s right now.

For a sandbox game, it feels like I'm being forced to play in one particular way if I want to actually have fun, which is the exact opposite of what a sandbox is supposed to be.
Voideka

Postby Harleyvitality » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 am

<Harleyvitality> The trouble is trading goods such as water, soil, clay, etc
<Harleyvitality> I have access to 62ql clay but I don't know if I'm digging 62, 61, or even down to the 40s in ql
<Harleyvitality> How could I make a valid trade out of that?
<Xarx> I can see that, Raw materials such as clay/water/soil should be exempt from that however completed goods should remain.
<Harleyvitality> That would be fine with me.

Explains itself. I'm tired and grumpy.
"...wha...what did she say about loading a...a..a what?.."
Harleyvitality

Postby Chakravanti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 am

The problem with this is that it's GRINDY.

No it's not. Eat carrots when you're hungry, replant the best ones as you go along. Same as any other farming task except it's quick and dirty unlike baking. It's better than eating apples. Also, Logarithmic progression would not serve newbies, only mid levels liek myself who are largely unaffected by this update. Only things i cant tell the Q of are my bone saw and bear cape.

Why should newbies be discouraged from traveling? I see no good reason for this.

Because they're NEWBIES. They have no idea what they're doing yet.

Crossroads are a cop out in this regard, as newbies will still need to use Travel Weariness, which is something that is in vastly short supply unless you have access to alcohol (newbies don't).

I still have issues with the travel system myself. I need quite a bit of tweaking and I can't put my finger on it. It's better than lo/li and alcohol is a decent placeholder for a more reasonable system (Boats,etc. [insert mindforcing digression here]) Etc. etc. hashed over in a dozen other topics. Next.

The question shouldn't be "why do you want to?" but rather "why shouldn't you be able to?".

Because you're a NEWBIE. Learn to play the game before taking on bears, eh? Baby steps there Hercules.

Please tell me why new players shouldn't be able to go out there if they so desire. The fact that rivers are such major obstacles to new and even medium-level characters (and excludes them from a number of areas on each supergrid) is a bit ridiculous.

Rivers are in no way prohibitive to mid levels. Snag a bear cloak and go barbarism. Eat a few bread products. You're all set.

I wish fixing problems was a priority, but it doesn't seem to be.

BLASPHEMY!!! Boats and keyring are priority #1.

I'll agree with you that it's broken. It is. But the changes have led to the inability of new characters to effectively retaliate against older characters by individually through any means.

True which makes being social in this game all that much more important. I doubt you'll convince anyone this is inherently a bad thing (even if it is achieved by crappy placeholders).

This seems like a valid point, but I'd like to differentiate here between game mechanics and support networks. This falls into the latter category. I will agree that the game has moved towards encouraging community and communal support, which is certainly beneficial to new characters.

You're just wrong. The demand for linen is high. It's a bit grindy but Q is irrelevant like MANY other things in this game that newbies can produce and trade for desired items from players that can produce it and have the skills to spend their time producing other things. There are also bricks, Chantrelles, silk etc. TO many things that are Q irrelevant for the newbie to produce. Dont' have a cauldron? Sell the cocoons to someone who does. For...oh...say..BEER OR WHINE?

@Voideka - Sandbox means you change change the world. Not that you can do whatever you want without conseqences.

Also @ all: Game shits on newbies. been that way a long time.
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can excel
-Ralph Stanley, O Death!
Chakravanti

Postby Blaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:20 am

You mean MY bone saw and bear cape. And probably that talisman too.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby Devour » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Blaze wrote:You mean MY bone saw and bear cape. And probably that talisman too.

Finders keepers, losers weepers. =(
Devour

Postby Blaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:47 am

I traded them.
What I meant is, he CAN see all the items that he could obtain at his level.
You see a masterful engraving by Blaze. On it is Blaze, bears, boars, and foxes. Blaze is striking down the bears. The boars are screaming. The foxes are in a fetal position. The image relates to the return of Blaze in the late winter of 2009.
Blaze

Postby eql » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:58 am

Voideka wrote:
theTrav wrote:Well that's my point. You were NOT talking to me. You don't know me, you don't want to make any effort to know me, or where my opinions are coming from. You have a whole lot of vague angst that you're projecting against my posts without any factual backing.

Voideka you are making incorrect assumptions and showing symptoms of mental laziness, which I find offensive.

I'm wondering if you see what's going on here. I made a post complaining about people like you constantly insulting people and telling them to shut up, then you insult me and tell me to shut up and claim you're taking the high road.

STOP IT.

Stop this kind of behavior, it is not conducive to a healthy community. We don't need people insulting others or telling them to be quiet if they don't agree with you. If you don't want people to look down on your behavior, stop behaving in antagonistic ways.

you did the same thing youre complaining about right then.
eql

Postby Devour » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm

eql wrote:you did the same thing youre complaining about right then.

I think Voideka is just a bit angsty.
Devour

Postby g1real » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm

Voideka wrote:

STOP IT.

tl;dr

For a sandbox game, it feels like I'm being forced to play in one particular way if I want to actually have fun, which is the exact opposite of what a sandbox is supposed to be.

tl;dr
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby eql » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:37 pm

such a gay flamefest these days.

what are you guys fighting for? this isnt some kind of caveman tribe where you can fight for superiority and become the alpha male.
eql

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements